Hallway Traffic Report

Traffic jam on the third floor
Traffic jam on the third floor
Cammie Kuwana

The hallways of Yorktown contain some of the worst traffic in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area. From congestion on the main staircase to students clogging up the hallways by forming circles of friendship, it can be difficult to get to and from your classes without running into some form of hallway traffic. Here is a report of where and when you can find the worst traffic backups in the hallways:  

9:05 am: The hallway on the second floor that runs parallel to the main staircase contains a mass of students walking in both directions. This creates a large amount of congestion and can make it difficult for you to turn around without running into someone. However, after a few minutes the amount traffic will greatly decrease as students reach their classes. If you are planning to use this hallway to get to your second period class, wait until 9:07 am to make your entry. This will save you time commuting to your next class and you will still make the 9:10 am bell.

9:55 am: Major congestion on the staircase that is next to the first-floor elevator and between the girls’ and boys’ bathrooms. Students are walking both up to the second floor and down to the first floor. With no barrier dividing the up and down side, it is quite a narrow fit especially when students decide to walk in pairs instead of single file. On top of that, all the gym students decide to use this staircase right after second period ends since it is in close proximity to the boys’ and girls’ locker rooms. Avoid this staircase during rush hour.

9:56 am: Severe backup on the second floor right in front of the main staircase. Students are slowly walking up the stairs to the third floor which is causing additional students to have to wait at the bottom of the stairs on the second floor. This bubble of students will make their way up the stairs within a minute, so if you are planning on using the main staircase to get to the third floor, wait until 9:57 am or 9:58 am. Another alternative is to take one of the back staircases to save time on your commute to third period.

10:52 am: Rush hour alert!! Backup in front of the main staircase on the third floor. Too many students are attempting to go down the stairs which is causing a large amount of congestion. Students are waiting for their turn to head down the stairs. This is a particularly horrible time to descend the main staircase because fourth period is a lunch period, so students are even more eager to get down to the first floor. If you are trying to get to the second or first floor from the third floor, avoid the main staircase at all costs. Even after the backup clears up, there is still a lot of traffic throughout the entire transition between third and fourth period.

10:53 am: A group of students are congregating in front of the orange pod (rooms 212 through 221) on the second floor. They are leaning against the railing and standing in the middle of the hallway. Students walking down the hallway have to walk around this group and into the opposing lane of traffic. This is interfering with the entire flow of traffic on the second floor. Try to avoid this group and portion of the hallway at all costs.

11:41 am: Lots of traffic in the second floor hallway in front of the Leadership Center. Students are slowly moving down the hallway in both directions. This makes it nearly impossible for you to quickly navigate your way through this hallway unless you want to risk your luck with opposing traffic. Try to wait until 11:43 am to enter this hallway as traffic will have improved by that time.

11:42 am: Avoid the main staircase at all costs at this time. Students are heading down to the first floor for fifth period lunch just as students who have fourth lunch are going up to the second floor. There are simply too many people and this is creating a major backup on the second floor in front of the main stairs. Students are struggling to push their way through the mass of backpacks and bodies to get to their final destination. It does not help that some students are choosing to congregate and talk with their friends in this area. Take another staircase during this time to avoid the madness.

12:32 pm: The hallway right in front of the cafeteria is swarming with people. Students are exiting the cafeteria and heading towards the main staircase and down the hallway in both directions. On top of that, students are trying to enter the cafeteria which causes even more congestion. There are also some students who have decided to congregate in this hallway and talk to their friends, further adding to the congestion. Wait until 12:34 pm to enter this hallway to avoid getting caught in a mess of cross traffic.

1:20 pm: Sixth period has just ended and the hallway in the third floor that runs parallel to the main staircase is teaming with students. The traffic is this hallway is exceptionally bad because some students are choosing to walk in the middle of the hallway rather than in the appropriate lane of traffic. This causes problems for people walking in both directions. Accidents are likely to happen in this hallway. Wait until 1:22 pm to enter this hallway.

1:22 pm: The area in front of the main staircase on the second floor is at its all time worst. Students are going up and down the stairs from the first to the second floor, and from the second to third floor. To make matters worse, multiple groups of students are gathering in this area to talk to their friends, which is worsening the congestion. It is difficult for students to navigate their way through this area without bumping into anybody. All in all, it is a disaster. Avoid the main staircase in between sixth and seventh periods.

2:11 pm: The hallway in front of the Teachers’ Lounge on the third floor contains a mass of students heading in both directions. Some students are walking in the middle or wrong side of the hallway which negatively affects the flow of traffic. It is also difficult to speed up or get around people due to how slowly traffic is moving. Avoid this hallway until at least 2:13 pm.

The large student body makes traffic in the hallways inevitable. However, you can avoid the worst of it by staying away from certain hallways and staircases during particular times. You can also use back staircases to avoid the worst of the congestion. Hopefully this traffic report will help you cut down on your future commutes to and from classes.