Arlington’s Cafeteria Food: A Work in Progress

The school cafeteria has many options that appeal to both high school students and teachers.
Bergen Romness

The school cafeteria may be the most scrutinized place in the building, with students and staff often left in disgust as some mystery meat is discovered inside their burgers or sandwiches.  However, there are options that appeal to the picky palates of both high school students and teachers. Some new additions, like the taco bar which gives students the choice between burritos and bowls, have brought some much needed change.  So with all these new options, what are the best and worst foods in the school cafeteria?

The most popular dishes at lunchtime are the spicy chicken nuggets and the spicy chicken sandwich. For those who desire a little kick with their food will certainly enjoy these classics. A staple in the cafeteria for years, the chicken, had always been criticised for being too tough or meely. However, this year, the chicken has become a consistently safe choice for buyers. With the addition of this tasty spice rub and breading, life has been brought to a typically bland protein.

“Most of the food here has absolutely no flavor so… it’s good to see that they aren’t afraid to add spice anymore,” Junior Syed Ahmad said.

One dish that has remained consistently a favorite at school is the pizza dippers. This meal consists of blocks of pizza dough filled with mozzarella cheese and served with marinara sauce on the side. This dish has come in many different forms in the past, however, the flavor has always been consistently good.

Unlike the pizza dippers, pizza slices have a less intriguing flavor. Lacking any real substance, the slices cannot hold a candle to its dipper counterpart.

“It tastes like cardboard,” Junior Matthew Davis said.

The only advantage for meat lovers is that the slices come in either cheese or pepperoni, which can be a nice change of pace from soley tomato sauce and cheese.

The overwhelming choice for the worst lunch food goes to the fried fish. Coming as either a sandwich or tenders, this not only has a dreadful taste, but also leaves behind a signature stench. Students can infer exactly what the cafeteria is serving based on the aroma of the first floor. On fish days, the first floor is the worst place to be.

To the credit of the cafeteria staff, efforts have been made to improve the overall dining experience of the students and staff. The addition of new foods has been a refreshing change of pace and has improved the overall perception of the school lunches.  Over time, more dishes will be introduced and others will be discarded, hopefully to never appear again. While the cafeteria is trending in the right direction, there is still much to be done.