The Top Five Water Fountains in Yorktown

Many students have a personal preference of where to fill their water bottles and quench their thirst.
Bergen Romness

Throughout the school, there are numerous options for hydration during the day. Whether you prefer the water fountains along your route in between classes or go out of your way for a certain fountain’s ice-cold taste, many students have a personal preference of where to fill their water bottles and quench their thirst. As a self-described water aficionado, I have combined personal taste test results with consumer reviews to identify the top five water fountains in the school.

1. Ranking fifth amongst the fountains samples, the cafeteria water fountain performed fairly well with a cool and soft taste. It should also be noted that this water fountain is probably one of the more frequently used ones from throughout the school, so the fact that it retains quality is impressive. Water pressure is mediocre, but the convenience of the fountain and its satisfactory water puts it above others. This water fountain also has a water bottle filler which allows for students to recycle bottles from their lunch and have water for the rest of their day.

1. In fourth place is the water fountain in the main gym. Located to the left of the boys locker room, this fountain has cold water with great pressure for gym students who may have just finished the grueling Pacer test or an intense game of badminton. While not very crisp, the water here has a smoother feel and, like the aforementioned fountain in the cafeteria, has retained quality despite frequent usage. Another aspect of this fountain is its movable water guard, allowing for rotation to contour to any drinkers needs.     

1. Placing third on the list is the water fountain next to the stairwell by room 243 of the second floor. The water here is one of the few throughout the school that satisfactorily meets all standards of coldness, crispness, taste and overall consumer enjoyment.

“Nice and cold water. It has a crisp taste and is overall just good water. It also does not taste like it has too many chemicals in it,” senior Conor Chmiel said.

The location of the fountain is also very convenient for students needing a break while making the leg-burning hike from the first floor to the third.  

1. Second out of the school’s water fountains is not exactly a water fountain at all. In Kevin Bridwell’s classroom, room 252, a storied water cooler produces some of the coldest and most brisk water in the school. While this water source is being excluded from the top spot of this list because it is not actually a water fountain, the water from Bridwell’s cooler is beloved by many of the students in his classes.

“Best water in the school. I take a sip and feel like I am on a Fijian island with the most refreshing drink in the world. The water is very smooth and chilling. Very satisfactory when you finish the sip,” junior Matias Dieguez said.

The water also serves as an excellent morning wake up to students who have Bridwell for first period.

1. Earning the highly coveted position of first place on this list is the water fountain in the auxiliary gym. This water meets all possible standards as a refreshing drink with a frosty temperature and a smooth taste leaving all consumers filled with contentment. With its location as one of the few water sources near the auxiliary gym, it serves as an oasis for parched gym students and weekend basketball players.

“This is some pristine and delicious water,” sophomore Kai Bermudez said.

“The water is really cold and provides a full sensation in your mouth. It had a smooth taste and now I want some more,” sophomore Paul Moeller said.

Overall, this water is of better quality than the others sampled throughout the school and deserves the honor of being named the best water fountain in the school.

Worst Water Fountain:

1. Ranking as the worst water fountain in the school is the water fountain near the boys locker room in between the boys and girls bathroom. This water has very low quality taste and is very warm. It is very unsatisfactory to drinkers and even insighted sickening feelings amongst some students who drank it.

“It is horrible. It is lukewarm at best and does not get any colder. I do not like it at all. “ sophomore Eli Waldman said.

“This water is extremely warm, it does not taste very good. When I come to get water, I come to feel refreshed but when I drink this, I feel like I want to vomit.” sophomore Aidan Burnside said.