Rants II

In most classrooms there is a lack tissues.
Bergen Romness
  1. One of the most obvious problems here at school is the lack of tissues. In classrooms these days, it’s more likely to find Bigfoot than it is to find a box of tissues. They simply don’t exist. The worst is when the teacher grabs a roll of toilet paper and thinks it will suffice. The toilet paper is awkward and tough to fold correctly, especially in the moment. If you get up and don’t fold it just right, you can end up sounding like a siren. People don’t want to use the toilet paper unless they’re really desperate. The only solution to this is to carry around a handkerchief.
  2. Another problem that all students can relate to is having to get a pink slip when you are late to school. You have to wait in a line, sign in and wait for the attendance lady to fill out your slip, and ultimately end up missing a solid ten minutes of class. The worst is when you show up to your class without the slip and your teacher won’t let you in. Is it really necessary send students all the way back to the office to grab the pass? The biggest annoyance of all of this is the fact that the pink slips have no meaning. They have no purpose at all besides acting as a hall pass. Having a pass has no effect on your attendance status at all. Why can’t we just get rid of them?
  3. One of the worst things about this year alone is the new Physical Education (P.E.) system. Freshman and sophmores have to take written tests in P.E. That means they have to put pencil to paper and prove they “learned” in P.E. that quarter. P.E. is supposed to be a break in a day packed of sitting in chairs and taking notes. I’ve had to take more tests this year in gym class than in my English class. The most annoying thing about these tests is what we’re being tested on. Why should kids have to know what the names are for different frisbee throws if they can’t even throw a frisbee? This isn’t the only thing wrong with P.E. Another problem with is the sports they choose to have us play like ping-pong, pickleball and track. Can you even call ping-pong a sport? What happened to the typical sports like basketball or football. I think we’ve played about three days of basketball this year, yet the teachers have found it necessary to spend full months playing pickleball, which is basically indoor tennis. Who has even heard of pickleball? We need to get back to basics and make it a fun class again.
  4. One of the most awkward moments in school is when you see someone you know and wave at them but they don’t wave back. It is usually due to the fact that they didn’t see you, but either way it provides for some serious confusion. What’s worse is when you decide to yell their name. This is always a costly mistake. After yelling at them four or five times across the atrium, you seem to gain everyone’s attention except your friend’s. You’re then faced with the harsh truth that your friend needs a hearing aid and are forced to give up and proceed to your next class, pretending like it never happened.
  5. Is there any other way to end this article but with public displays of affection (PDA). Let me start this with a Public Service Announcement (PSA) for all the Yorktown couples out there: there’s a time and place for romantic behavior, but it’s not outside your chemistry class. Seriously, can’t you just restrain yourself till 3:01 and save everyone in the school from having to watch you. My question for these couples is how they feel comfortable pulling all this off in front of everyone. It would really help out the community as a whole if we could eliminate this behavior from the school.

These are just a few problems the students face everyday, but quite honestly, most people would agree that Yorktown is an awesome school, just a few tissues short of spectacular.