Culinary Corner: Lunchroom Edition

People can bring their own lunch or buy something from school
Kate Cressey

Culinary Corner: Lunchroom Edition

Ask any high schooler what their favorite time of day is and the answer is usually lunch. The stress that school has can sometimes seem unbearable until the middle of the day finally comes, with it a much needed break. Some take their lunches very seriously, using a sizable amount of their morning to prepare the food that will get them through the day, while others take a simpler route. Regardless of the effort presented, these lunches are often the culinary highlight of their day.

Junior Annette Shumway is a prime example of someone whose lunch always seems like it could come out of a professional kitchen. Her average lunch consists of last night’s leftovers, some of her favorites being Thai dishes, sushi and tacos. The reason for her elaborate lunches is usually that her mom makes them for her in the morning, but there are rare occasions where she has to make her own.

“When I make my own lunch I usually just have a sandwich or something,” Shumway said.

Some lunches are much simpler than Shumway’s such as sophomore Will Porter. His lunch today was simply a bag of Doritos and water. He admitted that this lunch was not going to be filling and said his usual lunch is a bit different.

“On a normal day I have a sandwich, chocolate milk and applesauce,” Porter said.

Freshman Robert Gay’s lunch is also usually simple with a sandwich, chips and an apple being his go-to favorites. Although his parents make his lunch on most days, when he makes his own it does not affect his daily routine much.

“It usually only takes me 10 minutes to make my own lunch,” Gay said.

Although making your own lunch is the most popular route students take, some decide to save the time in the morning and buy lunch at school. Junior McKay Evans decided to do this today and ventured to the back of the cafeteria to buy a hot and ready school lunch. She got cheese sticks and corn today, carrying it on the classic cardboard tray.

“Usually I bring lunch but I forgot this morning, but it’s pretty good,” Evans said.

No matter if the lunch is big, small, elaborate or simple, all students seem to say that lunch is their favorite time of day, where school work does not matter and good food is in front of them.