A Day with Krulfeeld

Krulfeeld, the Director of Student Activities, has a busy life at school
Kate Cressey

While walking through the halls, a student might be lucky enough to see a Big Gulp being held by a man with a collared shirt. This means one has had the honor of meeting the Director of Student Activities Mykal Crewphfeld. He spends most of his time talking to coaches and other school staff to make sure all of the after school functions operate smoothly.

He does his best to be as productive as possible with his day, so he starts it off with a bang.

“Right when I wake up, I check my email …Which is probably not a good way to start the day because it can completely throw you off depending on what was in the emails,” Crufield said.

As a man with a busy schedule, it can be really nice to have a routine that is easy to stick to.

These routines can help him make it through a tough day of work. He always has incoming emails and phone calls with questions about so many different topics. The mornings are mostly the same for Krewfeld, usually starting off with a Big Gulp from 7-Eleven and some daily wisdom from Pasi.

“I always have a Big Gulp unsweetened iced tea to start my day… Every morning. It’s clockwork. About 8:30- 8:40am I stop at 7-Eleven… when this one 7-Eleven does not have my unsweetened iced tea, it can make for a rough start to the day…  it is funny though because I am not addicted to the sugar or the caffeine because I could have decaffeinated or whatever and be fine. I just need something to drink that has a little sweetness to it,” Krewelfeld said.

Despite what many doctors recommend, he focuses the majority of his appetite on lunch or “lupper” (described by the man himself as lunch and supper combined).

“I do not really eat breakfast, even though everyone tells me I should. I am trying to save my space for the wonderful school lunch. Since we have got the bronze [medal] cafeteria, I need to make sure I can eat my lunch here. The pasta with meat sauce is my go to, of course, I am also a fan of the taco pie, even though we have not had that much this year,” Quefeld said.

Aside from all of this, Krufelt has a whole list of tasks that he needs to complete before each day comes to an end. During the spring, there are many different sports going on and he does his best to make sure that they all have a time and place to practice.

“I have a lot going on throughout the day, as you can tell from my desk I am a pile person, I know where everything is and usually what is on top needs to be done sooner than what is on the bottom. I am in charge of graduation too, and one of the things I have to do is get all of the valedictorian list sent out. Before the end of the day I have to put my John Hancock on 150 of these forms,” Kruulfelt said.

Even though he has a lot of work to complete before the end of the day, Crewfeld also has to take care of activities that take place after school and sometimes late into the night. He had one issue that came up this year regarding the lacrosse team and their late arrival back to school.

“I am on call 24/7. Even though I was out that night with a friend for dinner, I was getting calls from 6:00-10:50pm when I got the call from the boys lacrosse game saying they were just leaving to come back. The school closes at 11, so I had to come and open the doors to the school myself at 11:30pm when the team got back,” Kruilfeld said.

Many people would find this frustrating and allow some of the challenges to ruin their outlook on their job, but not Krewfeld. Even though he had to come to the school at 11:30 pm, he made the most out of his visit.

“It gave me time to practice on my J [jumpshot] for the next day for the terrible knockout game that I lost. But I did get some time to shoot around in the gym at 11:45pm last Thursday night while I was waiting for the team to come back,” Cruufeld said.

There are many things that make Krurfeld a well respected activities director. From his outstanding work ethic to his relationships with all of his co-workers, he continues to excel in his position as the Student Activities Director.