Why were you late?

115 students were late to their first or second period this morning
Lindsey Bowers

Monday is the most common day that kids arrive late to class. Today, Monday, April 24, over 115 kids were tardy to their first or second period class. So many things can go wrong in the morning to cause someone to be late; whether it was because they needed to do some last minute homework or decided to go to Starbucks for some coffee, it seems that being tardy is becoming a habit for some. In some cases, doctors and dentists appointments are scheduled for the morning, but having 115 kids absent for the same reason is quite the coincidence. Here are just a few of the excuses students use to miss that 8:19 bell.

Jack McCool, sophomore:

“I am late today because it is a Monday and it was raining so it was tough to get up for school.”

Imani Haskell, senior:

“I’m late because I woke up and I drank my coffee and it took me a little extra time today.”

Cole Woods, sophomore:

“I am usually late because I am at the park because I like to play on the playground with my friends.”

Camden Bone, freshman:

“I forgot that had homework in my history class, so I tried to wake up early and do my homework, but it ended up taking longer than I had expected.”

Benji Tran, senior:

“I was late today because I was doing a field trip for orchestra.”

Paige Halsted, sophomore:

“My brother had to print something out and it took an hour and he drives me to school, so by the time we arrived I was already 10 minutes late”

Earl Msimanga, sophomore:

“I have a field trip today, but usually if I come late it is because I left my house late or woke up late or if I want to go get Starbucks.”

Sarah Stork, sophomore:

“I have a field trip today and I did not think that I had to come to school today and we had trouble parking.”

Matthew Herrlein, sophomore:

“Usually, I like to sleep in a good amount and when I do sleep in my alarm goes off around 7:50 and then I leave around 8 or 8:05, but most days I will just fall back asleep and then my dad will get mad, then he will wake me up and my brother will have to drive me and since we are leaving so late it is hard to find a parking and we normally have to park very far away and then it’s a five minute walk to school, then I have to get to the third floor, but it is Spanish so who cares.”

Even though those few extra minutes of sleep or that crucial Starbucks run may tempt you, just remember that the bell rings at 8:19, not 8:35 … or 10:15 … or 11:10…