Artist of the Month: Chandler Sensibaugh and Bryanna Lansing

Juniors Chandler Sensibaugh (left) and Bryanna Lansing (front center left) accepting the award of Artist of the Month
Kate Cressey

Clay That Can Talk: Chandler Sensibaugh

The two art pieces that sit right next to each other in the center of the library look like they are about to start an in-depth conversation about the different ceramics techniques that adorn their outsides. Junior and ceramics III student Chandler Sensibaugh will no doubt receive an excellent grade on her most recent project. Awarded with Artist of the Month for April along with Junior Bryanna Lansing, Sensibaugh is finally getting the recognition her artwork has long deserved.

Her visual arts  teacher Christine Bolon gives different parameters for every assignment. Each project is different and has requirements that the students can then interpret as they will to adhere to their own creative mindset.

“We focus on more different things. [Ms. Bolon] will give us a project and we will focus on just that one detail, whatever the theme of the piece is. When we go into AP next year, it will be more about focusing on just one idea all year,” Sensibaugh said.

Her two pots are painted in rustic colors and look connected upon first glance.  They would blend right into any mountain house and complement the greenery of the spring colors that decorate the outside world right now.

“The theme for this specific project was conversation, so I had to make the pieces go together. I made two coil pots, cut both in half and then put a slab on to close them up so that they connected to look like one piece instead of two separate pieces,” Sensibaugh said.

Slip trailing is the application to a clay surface of lines of slip (a mixture of clay and water) using a fine-pointed dispenser. Sensibaugh has mastered the technique this year.

“I slip trailed the design onto the outside of the pots and then did the glaze the same on both of them to continue to connect them,” Sensibaugh said.

Her talent clearly shows through her piece, named Ancient Flower, and it would only make sense for her to continue to sharpen her skills, potentially even pursuing pottery in college. Even so, Sensibaugh does not have that intense of a passion for clay.

“It has always been an interest to me but I think it will only ever be an extracurricular activity,” she said.

She still continues to love the class and the freedom that Bolon grants her students  for each project. Ceramics allows students to focus on ideas outside of the traditional realm of school, and that is something that Sensibaugh has grown to love.

The two pieces, named Ancient Flower, that double as one will be inside the library for the next month before being moved to the Central Library where they will be seen by thousands of different people.  The Artist of the Month chapter at Yorktown may just be starting this year, but the artists behind the award are surpassing the expectations that were in place. Sensibaugh is no exception.

Finding the Unseen Beauty: Bryanna Lansing

The Lincoln Memorial is famous for the huge statue of Honest Abe and for the stairs where Civil Rights Activist Martin Luther King, Jr. changed the world. People flock to the mall in rain or shine to see this famous landmark that honors America’s sixteenth president.  The 19 foot statue is the centerpiece of the memorial; however, people generally fail to look at the ceiling above that is breathtakingly beautiful. Photo II student and junior Bryanna Lansing used the skills taught to her by Photography teacher Allen Beland throughout the year, as well as her own creativity to capture the winning photo, Unseen at Lincoln. Her photo of the ceiling of this memorial shows the architectural minds behind the design of the building.  She was awarded Artist of the Month along with junior Chandler Sensibaugh for her photo taken inside the memorial.

Lansing visited the memorial on a sunny day with her camera and an eye for capturing beautiful pictures.  

“I was there and I looked up and saw the ceiling. Normally, you just don’t look up. So when I saw it, I took pictures at different exposures and then combined them,” Lansing said.

She has learned how to use Photoshop and used this program  to combine and make the photo that is now on display in the library.

“I had different exposures through the camera. Then, in Photoshop, I created that picture. [Beland has] taught me to kind of have my own creativity and do everything myself,” Lansing said.

Photography is not something that Lansing has always known she liked, but taking Photography proved to be one of the best decisions she has ever made. Pursuing photography in college is a real consideration and is something that she would excel at.

“I just drew a lot as a child and decided to do photo last year. I really liked it so I decided to do it again this year. I have definitely thought about [taking Photography in college]. I am not sure yet, but it is certainly something that I would consider,” Lansing said.

Her photo will be on display at Yorktown for the next month and will find its way to the Central Library where people will continue to marvel at the colors and precision of her skill. Lansing was able to capture a shot at the Lincoln Memorial while not focusing on the big man at the back of the room. Her picture beautifully highlights the literal unseen part of this memorial and gives the ceiling that an architect no doubt planned for months the recognition it deserves. Lansing used her own creativity to show the work of another artist, and she did it magnificently.