Cooperation and Collaboration: A Look Inside Yorktown’s Preschool

Cooperation and Collaboration: A Look Inside Yorktowns Preschool

It’s the hallway of doom. There’s one minute left until the bell rings, and a huge unit test packet is waiting to pounce on you the second you step foot in the room. The door becomes closer with every step you take towards the hallway, and the stress makes everything seem darker. However, a sound interrupts you right as you’re about to enter the dreaded room. You look over, and you suddenly see a line of people come into view from around the corner. You squint, because these high schoolers look tiny. Little do you know, this line isn’t made up of high schoolers. These laughing faces are of the preschoolers taking their midday walk. 

The preschool is a hidden gem of our school. Tucked away on the first floor, it is a beam of light in an otherwise stressful day. When walking in, you are immediately surrounded by bright colors and lively chatter. Toys adorn every available space, and it is clear by the joy on the kids’ faces that this is no ordinary preschool. 

“We do a thematic curriculum, which means that everything is play-based and themed. The kids love every theme, and every time we change it they come in and get so excited,”  teacher Shannon Graham said.

The theme of today was locomotives, which meant that all the kids were learning how to correctly put cutout trains on tracks. 

“They are learning without realizing they are learning. They are learning their numbers, their letters, how to cooperate with others without even knowing that that’s what they’re doing. I can hide all sorts of lessons,” Graham said.

No matter how the students are learning, there is no question that they are having fun doing it. 

“I love playing. My favorite toy is my police uniform and [my name would be] Police Jameson!” said Jameson, one of the preschoolers. 

Next time you’re feeling down at school, think of the joyous preschoolers who walk the same halls with their infectious attitudes.