Home Run for Breast Cancer

Home Run for Breast Cancer

Our school and Washington and Liberty (W-L) have been rivals for many years, making the games against each other extremely competitive and fun to watch. However, the two schools overcome that rivalry for the Pink Out varsity baseball and softball games each year. 

The Pink Out games are dedicated to spreading breast cancer awareness. This year the varsity softball and baseball games were hosted at our school while the JV games were at W-L. The Yorktown teams worked with the W-L teams to go all out to raise money for the cause. 

“For the pink out game, we made banners and we did a raffle sale and a bake sale. We try to raise a bunch of money for the Arlington Free Clinic,” sophomore Haley Masci said. 

The team raised $10,000 this year and has amassed a total of $35,000 over the years. The teams donated all of the money to the Arlington Free Clinic, where free breast cancer screening, referrals for free mammograms, biopsy, surgery and chemotherapy is offered. 

The games have been successful in many previous years as well and have attracted many spectators.

“The Pink Out game is a game that everyone goes to. Some people had friends and family come. Some had people from their neighborhoods come. Nine and under teams of young girls will come and cheer us on,” sophomore Malena Cardinale said.

The Yorktown varsity softball team won their game 22-8 and the Yorktown varsity baseball team won their game 7-2. Although the game is competitive, it unites these two rival schools and brings the communities together. The teams appreciate their win, but they see the real win as the support shown by people from all over Arlington for Breast cancer awareness.