Amazon or In Store?

Consumers order from Amazon
Consumers order from Amazon
Charlotte Cooke

As the holiday season approaches, consumers are eagerly searching high and low for the perfect gifts to give to their family and friends. Some flock to neighborhood stores, while others open their laptops and dive into the world of online shopping. Amazon dominates the world of online retailing and tends to be a convenient option for holiday shopping. People often wonder which is better: walking through the aisles of a physical store or scrolling through pages on Amazon Prime. Both options have benefits, but ultimately the decision of whether to shop on Amazon or in store comes down to an individual’s priorities and what they are looking to purchase.

For individuals looking to buy toys this holiday season, Amazon is the way to go. All the latest, most popular and best-selling toys can be found on the Amazon 2018 Holiday Toy List. This list is extremely easy to navigate because consumers can shop for toys by category, age range, price range, featured items, discounts, average customer review and shipping options. Someone who wants to buy a learning toy for a two to four year-old that is between $25 and $50 dollars can find what they are looking for with just three clicks, rather than spending an hour searching through a traditional store.

A major benefit of turning to Amazon for holiday shopping is the convenience factor. Rather than driving to an actual store, spending time picking out items, waiting in a line to pay for those items and then driving home, Amazon shoppers can purchase gifts without leaving their homes. This is a life-saver for those who feel as if they are always on the move and do not have time for holiday shopping. Additionally, Amazon Prime’s free two day shipping is another factor that attracts customers. Not only can they get check off all the items on their holiday wishlist without leaving their home, these gifts will be delivered to their home in a timely manner.

Another Amazon attraction is the 12 Days of Deals. Starting on December 2, Amazon will showcase deals from different departments for 12 days. Home improvement, sports & outdoors, fashion, toys, electronics, kitchen and gaming are some of the categories that will be featured. Like in the Holiday Toy List, consumers can check the boxes for price range, average customer review and percent off to find the items they want. Buying lots of gifts for the holidays can become pricy, so 12 Days of Deals is a great way to save money while still finding great gifts.

Despite all the benefits of choosing Amazon for holiday shopping, many people still elect to buy their gifts from Target, Walmart, other chains and local stores- also an advantageous route. Some people enjoy the experience of going to a store, filling their shopping cart with gifts and then wrapping their gifts when they get home. Holiday shopping can be a fun-filled time and some families like to make it a social event. The in store option also makes sense when buying items that can look and feel different in person than online, such as clothes. Shopping in store is also a good idea for people who do not know what they are looking for and just want to browse aisles to find the perfect gift. For those last minute shoppers, running to a neighborhood store on Christmas Eve will be cheaper than paying for one day shipping.

Overall, Amazon is the more convenient option for holiday shopping. Between fantastic deals and being able to fill a wishlist from anywhere, it is no wonder that Amazon is such a popular option among consumers. For some people, the universe of online shopping will never replace the experience of going to a physical store and walking through aisles filled with Christmas music and holiday cheer. The decision of whether to stay traditional and go with in store, or to embrace the growing world of technology and shop on Amazon should be made by each consumer based on their preferences for gift-getting this holiday season.