Chris Rita and Kate Cressey

Chris Rita and Kate Cressey

School can be a very stressful time for any student, especially those that have trouble expressing themselves. This is evidently not a problem for sophomore reporter Chris Rita, who describes himself as very outgoing.

“I think I’m fairly outgoing… in the way I present myself to people. I’m very interactive with others,” Rita said.

One way Rita can express his outgoing and inclusive personality is by communicating through his phone, the one thing he always has in his hand.

“[I always have] my phone because I need it for everything,” Rita said.

Not only is his phone important for talking with his friends and family, but it is crucial in fulfilling his music needs. When asked what song was last played on his phone, he hesitated on the exact song, but knew right away that it was country because he became hooked on the genre last year. After looking at Spotify he remembered it was “Dirt on my Boots” by Jon Pardi.

Rita also declared that he was a Boston sports fan, explaining why he he would be Tom Brady if he could be any celebrity.

“I would want to be Tom Brady from the New England Patriots because he has the dream life. I’m a big sports guy, and [while] I don’t necessarily want to play football,… the success he has had throughout his career is admirable,” Rita said.

As Rita admires Tom Brady because of his stellar career in sports, it comes as no surprise that Rita’s dream job would involve a professional sport as well.

“I would want to be a professional golfer. [It] isn’t necessarily realistic, but they get to play golf all the time and travel [for it] which is pretty awesome,” Rita said.

Rita is very passionate about and dedicated to golf, and as a result participates in it whenever he can, including on the Yorktown team who very recently made it to the regional tournament.

“I play a lot of golf [in my spare time]. It helps me relax and get my mind off of things,” Rita said.

Rita’s kind and gracious personality came through during the interview, so it came as no surprise that his favorite word was respect.

“Respect is [my favorite word]. I think it’s a very important trait and characteristic to have,” Rita said.

There is no doubt that we will see Rita in the distant future, writing for the Sentry as well as in the local newspaper for his stellar golf accomplishments.

Senior Kate Cressey, photography editor for The Sentry, has been enjoying her final year at Yorktown and is excited about the classes she is taking. Cressey is a hardworking student in the classroom, and has a particular interest in science. She can also be found on the softball field where she is a vital part of the Yorktown softball team.

“I am currently verbally [committed] to Stanford to play softball. I committed sophomore year, so that’s hopefully where I will be going,” Cressey said.

Clearly, Cressey is a skilled softball player, but she is down to earth in her approach towards her future.

“Playing professional softball would be awesome, but it’s not really an actual job and when compared to baseball, players do not get paid well…  I think I might want to major in psychology and biology, so I think I would want to do something with that,” Cressey said.

Along with softball, Cressey contributes in other extracurricular activities at Yorktown.

“I also participate on the indoor track team; I do Shot Put,” Cressey said.

If a zombie apocalypse were to occur, Cressey would definitely be prepared.

“I don’t know what type of gun [I would use], but I wouldn’t want to get too close to them [the zombies]. That seems too risky,” Cressey said.

Cressey is a fan of the crowd, and would rather settle in an urban area than a rural area… unless of course her only option is New York.

“I like being by big cities, so I absolutely love Boston. Both my parents lived there and were around there, and I love Boston sports teams, so I would definitely say Boston or possibly Seattle,” Cressey said.

Cressey has taken phenomenal vacations across the globe, but finds a particular interest in places beyond the contiguous United States.

“My top three would be Vietnam, Spain and Alaska. Alaska was probably one of my favorites because I went on a cruise with my family. It was a National Geographic cruise, and it was really cool because we got to see a lot of animals. We went hiking and I loved the scenery, so I would probably say Alaska,” Cressey said.

Cressey had an opinion and had clearly pondered the idea of the possibility of her winning the lottery.

“I would probably be a little selfish, and I would want to travel the world. That is definitely something I would love to do in the future, so if I had the money for it I would totally do that.” Cressey said.

Cressey has had a great three years at yorktown, but like everyone, has some regrets.

“If I had time, I would go to more school events, like I have only been to one homecoming, and I have not been to a lot of football games or any other sports games because I do not really have free time,” Cressey said.

She is also an exceptional student within the classroom, but prefers science above all.

“I am weird: I actually like school; I am taking AP (Advanced Placement) biology and AP psychology this year, and I love those two. Since I have not been in the class that long, I am not sure [what my favorite subject is], but I think my favorite will be psychology because I am most interested in that one.” Cressey said.

Cressey humbly attributes the rare position she finds herself in with relation to others her age to her determined demeanor.

“What makes me unique is the current situation I am in, but I would say personality wise, I am really driven, and I do whatever it takes to be successful in what I love to do, and I am also very competitive, so I think that makes me unique,” Cressey said.

Cressey is passionate in what she does and finds herself not only committed to Stanford, but committed to success as well.