Claire Kuwana and Grant Blumberg

Claire Kuwana and Grant Blumberg

As the sun sets on senior Claire Kuwana’s high school career, the head editor of The Yorktown Sentry will surely be trying to enjoy her last year of newspaper class.

An avid fan of the Harry Potter series, Kuwana spends her time reading about fantasy worlds and writing about her own. Harry Potter was on Kuwana’s mind when asked what question she would ask if she could interview anyone in the world.

“One thing that comes to my mind is the author of Harry Potter. I’d probably ask her [J.K. Rowling] if she was going to write any more books,” Kuwana said.

When faced with deciding who she would most want to switch lives with, Kuwana again referred back to her favorite book series, admitting that she would be thrilled to switch places with Hermione Granger.

Kuwana is a fantastic student and always wants to learn more about the world and other people. She was also asked what superpower she would most like to have.

“Read minds, definitely. I’d probably end up causing myself more harm than good by reading people’s minds, but I feel like I would want to know.”

A talented athlete, Kuwana is an experienced member of both the field hockey and lacrosse team at Yorktown. Grades, however, always come first for the senior. When asked what her favorite subject in school was, Kuwana quickly answered that she looks forward to journalism the most every day.

The head editor’s devotion and dedication to journalism was reflected again when asked which historical event she would have most enjoyed writing a news article about.

“I think I would have wanted to cover Obama’s first inauguration,” Kuwana said.

After the school year comes to an end, Kuwana always looks forward to enjoying her favorite time of year: summer, where she is able to take a break from the stress of school, and relax with friends and family.

Kuwana is constantly searching for new experiences; she would love to someday travel to Australia and go snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef.

An alumni of Mr. Bridwell’s AP (Advanced Placement) United States history class, Kuwana was asked what other time period she would most like to have lived in.

“The 70s. Here in the U.S.”

Certainly a role model for many of the new members of The Sentry staff, Kuwana was asked about her own role models in life.

“Probably my mom honestly. She is very strong, and super considerate,” Kuwana said.

The Yorktown Sentry is lucky to have such an admirable leader as one of the 2017-18 head editors.

The buzzer blares, a whistle shrieks and five players jog off the court. Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Ryan Van Kirk, Grant Blumberg and his brother just won yet another game of pickup basketball. A recent addition to The Sentry staff, junior Grant Blumberg chose this group of people as his ideal pickup basketball team.

“My older brother… is super tall and lanky, so it would be funny to watch him try to shoot a basketball,” Blumberg said.

Despite his obvious knack for basketball teams, Blumberg, who uses Netflix instead of either Amazon Prime or Hulu, shows an interest in football when it comes to his go-to show, Blue Mountain State. Like many high school students, Blumberg’s zeal for athletics is apparent. Yet he does hold an opinion that a few athletes here may disagree with.

“Baseball is the most boring sport of all time,” Blumberg said.

Luckily for Blumberg, this past summer was anything but boring. In fact, if he could relive one day of his life, he would choose to experience the last day of summer all over again.

“There are a few that stand out as really good days… but the last day of summer this year was really fun. My friends and I just drove around all night… and just hung out,” Blumberg said.

As the first few weeks of school come to an end, most students are probably feeling the same way as Blumberg, wishing they could travel through time and return to the freedom that comes along with the summer.

“That was fun, and especially now with the school year starting… it’s just sad to think about,” Blumberg said.

Maybe one day in the future Blumberg will finally be able to relive that day again. For the meantime, he will just have to replay the memories in his head, like singer Iyaz describes in his song “Replay,” which also happens to be the last song Blumberg memorized word for word.

“I memorized that song in like third grade,” Blumberg said.

Iyaz would be a perfect candidate for the ideal dinner date; surprisingly, Blumberg chose to instead dine with someone much less successful and knowledgeable.

“[I would go with] Bill Gates so I could talk to him and order really expensive food,” Blumberg said.

Blumberg’s perfect meal (which he could definitely order a lot of if Gates was treating) is macaroni and cheese, barbecue ribs and fruit punch. On the other hand, one person Blumberg would not want to have dinner with is none other than our very own Commander in Chief.

“I would not want to go to dinner with Donald Trump just because I feel like that would be really annoying,” Blumberg said.

Blumberg’s dinner selections show that he not only has great taste in food, but he also is a motivated student whose desire to learn more will serve him well as a member of the staff. Maybe if he and Gates become friends he can help pay for the paper!