Joey Pickel and Anna Trainum

Joey Pickel and Anna Trainum

Chunky peanut butter enthusiast and freshman Joey Pickel has a strong passion for writing and so far has been a great addition to The Sentry family. With a love for writing and reading comic books, it is no surprise Pickel joined the newspaper During his middle school career, Pickel took every journalism class available. Needless to say, he is heavily prepared for The Sentry. Looking five years ahead, Pickel has no definite plans other than writing.

“I will be in college then. I would like to go where my family lives, the Midwest …  Wisconsin would be nice. It would be cool to be a badger, my dad went there. Hopefully I will be writing, that is what I want to do. I just want want to write, I do not care what for,” Pickel said.

Another one of Pickel’s various interests includes hiking which he fortunately got to do a lot of during his adventurous summer. His passion for hiking took him across the country as he embarked on an intense backpacking trip.

“I had a pretty good summer. I went backpacking in New Mexico, I think it was 90 miles. It was pretty fun, and I met a lot of cool people. It was a place called Filmont,” Pickel said.

In addition to hiking and writing, Pickel is on the freshman football team. As an invested Green Bay Packers fan, Pickel’s love for football is seen inside and outside of school. Pickel is not scared of much seeing that his biggest fear lays within the Packers losing.

“[I fear] that the Bears will beat the Packers any day,” Pickel said.

Although his life is full of excitement, Pickel would still take the opportunity to switch lives with someone for a day. Seeing that Pickel is heavily interested in football and the Packers, his decision is no surprise.

“If I could be anybody for one day I would be Aaron Rodgers after he won the superbowl because then I wouldn’t have to worry about anything else. I’m made,” Pickel said.

There are multiple people who contribute to who Pickel is, other than Rodgers. Whether he is at home with family, or reading books, Pickel is surrounded by inspiration.

“My parents [inspire me], but professionally, I have always liked the way Stephen King writes,” Pickel said.

Pickel’s various interests encapsulate who he is: passionate and devoted. He chooses the risky career path in The Game of Life, proving he is also adventurous and daring. Pickel is looking forward to a life full or writing, football and hiking.

Spending approximately twelve hours on a plane and paying upwards of twelve hundred dollars to do so is not a typical thing sophomores think about, but Sentry reporter Anna Trainum is not a typical sophomore.

Trainum is a second year reporter for The Sentry with a strong love for travel. . When asked what she wants to do when she grows up, she replied confidently.

“Whatever I’m doing I want to be traveling with it,” Trainum said.

Traveling is already a big part of Trainum’s life; this past summer she visited Paris and Amsterdam, expressing much love for Amsterdam. Trainum went as far as to call it her favorite city she’s ever visited. Trainum has already started looking ahead to the future and has conveyed interest in taking a gap year to fill her love for exploring the world.

There are many places on her traveling itinerary, but on the top of the list is northern Europe.

“Right now I want to go to northern Europe like Iceland, Scotland, places like that,” Trainum said.

Hopefully those places in northern Europe have a pool because Trainum is quite the swimmer. Over the Summer, Trainum stayed true to the sport, spending most of her hours swimming.

Swimming and dancing are among Trainum’s favorite activities. Trainum spends  a lot of her free time swimming and has explained her love of dancing, believing it to be more artistic.

A Typical and Psych (she is still mourning the loss of that from Netflix) are the shows that will be on Trainum’s laptop while on the plane somewhere exotic.  Watching television is one of Trainum’s favorite activities. Her natural habitat at home is as described:

“Either doing homework, or eating and watching Netflix usually at the same time which is a bad habit, shouldn’t do that,” Trainum said.

On the plane while her shows are not loading you could find her jamming out to her favorite band, Rainbow Kitten Surprise, or finding the next husky accessory to buy.

“My favorite dog is a husky. I’m so obsessed with huskies it’s an issue!” Trainum said.

While not watching shows on the small screen Trainum can be found feasting her eyes on movies such as Lion and Captain Fantastic.

[Captain Fantastic is] not like a superhero movie but it is so good,” Trainum said.

Trainum is a very nice and bubbly person; her personality can best be described by her favorite color pastel yellow, but do not ask for advice from her and then turn it down because that is Trainum’s biggest pet peeve.

When being asked the age old question of, what’s your favorite food … Trainum replies with an unusual response.

“My favorite food is inari, which nobody knows what it is, it’s like sushi … it’s sold where sushi is,” Trainum said.

Trainum has a bright future ahead of her. Her current workload is a preview to her work ethic and capabilities in the future. With an ever present smile and high aspirations  Trainum has a world of possibilities to come. Only time will tell what the future holds.