Caroline Boda and Evelyn Lowen

Caroline Boda and Evelyn Lowen

Senior Caroline Boda is beginning her third year on The Sentry. She is this year’s hard-working News Editor and a very important part of the staff.

Boda loves being a part of this welcoming class. When asked what her favorite part of The Sentry is, she pondered all the amazing qualities.

“It’s just the best way to end the day; it’s the best eighth period I could ever have,” Boda said.

The Sentry will be heavy-hearted to say goodbye to her when she goes off to college. Boda’s ultimate dream would be to study in Europe one day. However, Boda knows this dream is not too realistic and she would rather go somewhere in the United States because there are more opportunities here.

“I just think it’s so beautiful and I just love everything about Europe– it’s amazing.” Boda said.

When asked her most desired travel destination, she excitedly responded.

“I really want to go to Scandinavia … I love mountains, rain and storms. I just love that type of weather and it’s so beautiful up there, so I would really enjoy traveling there,” Boda said.

Boda was then faced with a hypothetical scenario in which she was to choose one celebrity with whom to be trapped in an elevator. She knew her response immediately because she is an avid fan of comedy movies, especially those including Kevin Hart.

“I know I’d be pretty terrified in the elevator, I’d be anxious, but it would be so funny to be with Kevin Hart because he would lighten the situation,” Boda said.

When rushing to class, Boda is not the person that you want to have in your way. “Walking on the wrong side of the staircase is so annoying,”  Boda said.

Although she dislikes when people walk on the wrong side of the staircase, Boda loves to be on top of the fashion trends. She is an expert at finding beautiful and unique clothes in a variety of stores. Similar to many other high school students, Boda is not a fan of spending one hundred dollars on a single item.

“I love Anthropologie and Free People … but I can’t afford that, so I rarely buy clothes from there, but I love that type of style,” Boda said.

Boda is a talented reporter and editor that The Sentry will miss.  Wherever she goes to college, whether it be Oxford or University of Virginia, we know Boda will do great things in life and make us proud.

Although there may be several faces new to Room 249 this year, the last name Lowen is certainly not. Following in the steps of her older brother, freshman Evelyn Lowen is joining The Sentry’s staff as an eager reporter. A Kevin Hart and country music enthusiast, Lowen is a dedicated advocate of the “correct” way to consume the treasured American dish commonly known as mac and cheese– with a spoon.

“People who use a fork, I just don’t understand. It’s so much extra work because you have to stab the macaroni. It’s violent too,” Lowen said.

Before settling in for the school year, Lowen spent a bustling summer boating on the Chesapeake Bay and running laps around Greenbrier’s track. Amidst endless weeks of lengthy field hockey practices spent in the miserable August sun, Lowen briefly halted to spend her sixth year at Sandy Hill Camp located on Maryland’s waterfront. With a sentimental look in her eye, Lowen recounted the multitude of activities her beloved camp has to offer.

“They have a horse barn, an archery range and craft stuff– basically everything that you would want to do,” Lowen said.

While the large majority of her time engulfed in the beauty of Sandy Hill’s grounds extracts only pleasant memories, a look of concern crossed Lowen’s face when she recalled a frightful yet thrilling experience that occurred amongst the treetops.

“I wouldn’t call this near-death but it’s definitely near-injury . . .  I was coming down [from the ropes course] and a huge bee came by. The camper who was holding my rope got scared and dropped the rope and I fell,” Lowen said.

Returned in one piece, Lowen recounted this daunting ordeal as we sat cross-legged in a second-floor hallway during her third week of high school. Although she is merely beginning her freshman year, Lowen has already immersed herself in our school’s community and has deservedly earned her title as a Patriot. Playing for both the lacrosse and field hockey teams, Lowen is dedicated to stabilizing the balance between the athletic and educational aspects of her daily life so that she can live the future she desires. This ideal consists of cloudless days spent in a quaint Georgia town following a well-deserved graduation from the University of Virginia.

While she is enthusiastic about the possibilities of her time after high school, Lowen is focused on the four years she will spent as a Patriot. It was our former Sports Editor and her very own brother who prompted her to apply to be a reporter for The Sentry.

“Michael would always talk about how close everyone was as friends. I’m really excited to be friends with people who are in a different grade than me and have different interests than me,” Lowen said.

Likewise, every veteran on staff at The Sentry is anticipating the addition of Lowen and her fellow new recruits this year. Lowen will undoubtedly deliver a unique dynamic to our paper, and we are elated to have her as a part of our eighth period everyday.