Nick Warnement and Ella McNamee

Nick Warnement and Ella McNamee

Multi-talented student athlete Nick Warnement has really stepped into leadership roles both on and off the field. Outside of schoolwork and The Sentry, this senior Head Editor spends his free time playing on the Yorktown football team. Going into his third year on staff, Warnement loves being on staff for many reasons, but the community in particular stands out.

“Especially last year, I became really close with the seniors that year. I’m also really good friends with the kids in my grade in this class,” Warnement said.

Warnement joined The Sentry as a sophomore. He had English teacher and newspaper advisor Chrissy Wiedemann freshman year. When he had the opportunity to join the class, he quickly applied and was accepted, to his excitement.

Warnement humbly describes himself as hardworking. This is one of the many reasons he is such a strong reporter, editor and athlete.

“I definitely did not used to be hardworking. In middle school, I kind of just took that I could get good grades for granted. As I came to high school, I learned that you actually have to apply yourself in school to be able to do well and work hard in sports if you want to be good,” Warnement said.

Although he enjoys many different types of foods, if Warnement could only eat one food for the rest of his life, he would choose pasta without a doubt.

“You can do a lot of stuff with pasta. You can go pesto, the tomato sauce route, [or] buttered noodles,” Warnement said.

Along with English, Warnement’s favorite subject is history. This definitely shows; when asked if he could interview anyone, Warnement thought it would be extremely interesting to interview one of the most integral people in American history.

“I think it would be really cool to interview somebody from a long time ago. I would probably say George Washington. He’s a founding father, so it would be really interesting to hear what he has to say,” Warnement said.

In addition to a great interest in history, Warnement’s passion for football is also evident. His love for football extends beyond just watching it on TV. He is an extremely talented receiver for the school team. When asked if he could be any celebrity for a day, his response reflected his passion for the sport.

“Probably a professional athlete: I guess Odell Beckham Junior. He’s one of the most famous NFL players. Being a professional athlete would be pretty cool,” Warnement said.

Warnement not only has a passion for football, he also really enjoys the outdoors. Although there are many places he would like to go to, if he had to pick one, he would travel around South America.

“[I want to go to] the Andes mountains, Chile, Argentina [and] Patagonia. I’ve always wanted to go there,” Warnement said.

Warnement looks forward to his third and final year on the Sentry. The Yorktown Sentry is lucky to have such a hardworking and talented Head Editor.

Being a freshman in high school is never easy, but it is even harder to walk into a class filled with upperclassmen and not feel nervous. Freshman Ella McNamee is excited to show what she can bring to The Sentry as a photographer this year. The McNamee name is not new to The Sentry roster, as Ella’s older sister was an editor for the paper. In fact, her sister was the main reason why she decided to join the staff in the first place.

“My sister Maddie was in the class and she always talked about how it was her favorite class and how much she loved it and so she convinced me to do it,” McNamee said.

Every teenager loves their freetime, and McNamee looks forward to spending time with friends and relaxing, as well as dancing.

“I go to dance practice, and I like to hang out with my friends. I also love listening to music and watching T.V.,” McNamee said.

Everyone who has experienced freshman year in high school knows that it can be a struggle. However, McNamee is approaching her first year with an optimistic attitude.

“So far it’s been pretty good, but it was hard to adjust to finding all my classes because they are far apart and in middle school I was just in the trailers so I only had to move from one trailer to the next. Other than that it’s been great,” McNamee said.

McNamee has also taken up some after school activities to assist with the transition.

“I am on the dance team,” McNamee said.

Music is a big part of McNamee’s life, and she is always keeping up with the newest artists and songs.

“My favorite artist right now is probably Billie Eilish,” McNamee said.

In addition to listening to music, McNamee loves to go to the beach and just chill. In fact if she could anywhere in the world, she would choose a place with a beach nearby.

“I would go to Bora-Bora because it looks really pretty and my favorite thing to do on vacation is to just go on the beach and relax,” McNamee said.

McNamee sees herself as a hard worker who is capable of getting things done. When asked to describe, she used several words to describe herself that show her hard working qualities.

“Determined, persistent and sassy,” McNamee said.

When asked the age old question of what would you bring with you to a desert island, McNamee answered with a response that anyone could have expected from a teenager.

“I would definitely bring my phone,” McNamee said.

Although her phone is filled with dozens of applications, there is one that stands out to McNamee.

“Snapchat is my favorite app on my phone,” McNamee said.

Determination is one of the most important qualities to have as a writer, and McNamee’s hard working attitude and easy going attitude is almost certain to bring great things to the staff this year.