Emogen Kelly and Charlie Schiavo

Emogen Kelly and Charlie Schiavo

The start of the new school year has seen the introduction of a new principal and new students in all grades, the fall of Blackboard and introduction of Canvas. Although junior Sentry photographer Emogen Kelly has been here since teachers used Blackboard and Google Classroom, she has spent the majority of her life on the other side of the world.

“I was born in Australia, and I lived there until two years ago,” Kelly said.

Junior year is the time when most high school students that are considering applying to college start to focus on what schools and subjects are the best fit for them. Kelly is no different– if everything goes to plan, she will attend college somewhere closer to home.

“I’ll probably go to college in Australia, probably in Melbourne,” Kelly said.

Anyone who has spent at least a week in Arlington knows that the weather can change within seconds, with no warning whatsoever. Still, Kelly hopes that the upcoming months will bring the crisp, cool mornings and colorful leaves that autumn is known for.

“I like fall because the leaves are changing, and it’s not too hot, not too cold,” Kelly said.

The odds of winning the lottery in the United States are miniscule– around one in 175 million, to be exact. Yet, this does not phase Kelly. If she defies those odds, she plans to move to a quiet, secluded tropical island. Even if Kelly’s lottery ticket is not a winner, she anticipates that it will not be a problem. Although not 100 percent sure of what she wants to do after college, she has a vague idea.

“My dream job [is] … something that I can make a lot of money [doing], that I’d also be happy with what I’m doing. I haven’t really thought about what I want to do, but I think something probably in the medical field,” Kelly said.

Kelly may have big plans for the future, but she has always been partial to the past. If given the chance to use a time machine, Kelly decided that she would venture into the back in time,

“… Because I really enjoy history,” Kelly said.

As far as household pets are concerned, Kelly only has eyes for dogs.

“[I’m] definitely a dog person, I don’t like cats, I’m allergic to them,” Kelly said.

After a summer spent watching Netflix and relaxing on the beach, Kelly is ready to start taking pictures for the Sentry. With Kelly behind the camera lens, the 2017-18 school year should be a very well-documented one.

The time spent talking with junior Charlie Schiavo was both interesting and endearing. Schiavo is working hard in his second year as a Sentry reporter. As an enthusiastic and capable writer, it is no question that he is a great asset to the the paper. When asked why he decided to join the team, Schiavo was quick to answer the question.

“I just really enjoy writing, and I had Ms. Wiedemann for 9th grade [English] and I really liked her,” Schiavo said.

As an avid hockey enthusiast and player, Schiavo spends his spare time tearing up the hockey rink or simply supporting his favorite sports team, the Washington Capitals. Schiavo also plays for not only one, but two hockey teams, Yorktown and Nova.  Even though hockey is his favorite sport, Schiavo also enjoys following other sports such as soccer.

Some of us may spend the little free time we have watching Netflix or chilling out, but when you are as hard working as Schiavo, this simply is not the case.

“I try to catch up on my homework when I am not playing hockey,” Schiavo said.

The idea of college is something that Schiavo appears to be very passionate about. Not only is he certain about where his dream college is, but he also is pretty confident about what he wants to study.

“I want to go to Boston University because it’s a really nice campus and they have some really cool programs. I probably want to study Journalism, or something English related,” Schiavo said.

Schiavo’s determination not only shines through in his own school work, but also with his friends, mentioning that if they ever need help, they come to him for assistance. Although he is not certain that teaching is the path that he is going to take, Schiavo believes the he has what it takes to be a top notch teacher.

“I would probably be a good teacher, because you have to set tasks that you need to do in a day,” Schiavo said.   

It seems travel could also be in his future. When Schiavo was asked where he enjoys to travel,

he was sure of his answer.

“Definitely Europe, there is just so many things they do better in Europe then the US,” Schiavo said.

Schiavo’s role models are his parents. After describing why his parents influence him so much, it is clear to see where he got his hardworking and diligent attitude.

“I look up to my parents because they [always] know what they’re doing and can handle pretty much anything,” Schiavo said.

As can his cousin, another role model, who combines a physically demanding job with a calm and collected mindset. He is a firefighter, and Schiavo reflected that if he could switch lives with anyone it would be his cousin. This is because he gets to fight forest fire which is something Schiavo is intrigued by.

Schiavo’s determination, athleticism and eager personality makes him a very intriguing person.

With these qualities and his approachability, Schiavo is undoubtably a great member of the Sentry!