It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Awards Season

Different talents are highlighted in award shows

Courtesy of Google Images

Courtesy of Google Images

Maggie Keane, Sentry Staff Reporter

Every year the performing arts are celebrated with a series of televised events highlighting music, theatre, film, television and more. Artists and their work are nominated for various highly-coveted awards. Then, at each event the winners are announced. Most of these events are scheduled around the same time of year—January through March. This “awards season” is a great way to acknowledge all of the hard work, talent and dedication that goes into the entertainment industry.

While there are dozens of performing arts award shows, there are a few that are the most popular of the season. The Academy Awards, or “Oscars,” is hosted by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) to recognize cinematic achievement. The Grammy Awards is hosted by The Recording Academy to recognize outstanding achievement in the music industry. The Golden Globe Awards recognize excellence in film and television and are awarded by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. The Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards is hosted by the Screen Actors Guild‐American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) to recognize outstanding performances in film and primetime television.

There are many different movies, songs, albums and television shows that are nominated for each award. However, every year there seems to be one or two in each category whose name appears over and over. This year, Damien Chazelle’s musical La La Land, a dreamlike story about a struggling jazz pianist who crosses paths with a struggling actress, won three Golden Globe awards, one SAG award and is currently nominated for a record-breaking 14 Oscars. Another standout movie is Barry Jenkins’ Moonlight, which shows a black man’s search to find his place in the world as he grows up in a rough neighborhood in Miami, Florida. Kenneth Lonergan’s Manchester by the Sea, which tells the story of an uncle who has to take on the responsibility of raising his nephew after the boy’s father dies, also gained a lot of recognition, earning six nominations.

Beyonce and Adele  are both nominated for multiple Grammys, including Song Of The Year (Adele’s “Hello” and Beyonce’s “Formation”), Album Of The Year (Adele’s 25 and Beyonce’s Lemonade) and Record of the Year. The Chainsmokers are nominated for “Best New Artist” as well as “Best Pop Duo/ Group Performance” for their song Closer.” At this years show, artists such as Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Beyonce and Chance The Rapper will perform on the Grammys stage.

At every show, there are always certain unforgettable moments. Whether it is a fashion mishap or a celebrity’s trip down the stairs, there is always something to talk about. This year, at the 2017 Golden Globe Awards, actress Meryl Streep received the Cecil B. DeMille Award for “outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment.” Streep took a more serious note in her speech to address politics–calling out the president for seemingly mocking a disabled reporter in 2016. Streep took it upon herself to urge the audience and the viewers at home to call President Donald Trump out on his wrongdoings and take a stand against it. Her call to action was received with enthusiasm as people in the crowd roared in response.

Although the Golden Globe Awards and the SAG Awards may have already happened this year, you still have the chance to watch the Academy Awards, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel on February 26th on ABC network and the Grammys, hosted by James Corden on February 12th on CBS network.