Your Ticket to Canada

Your Ticket to Canada

Equal parts bravado and ego make Donald Trump a hot debate topic.  “Donald Trump definitely represents the angry white man of America,” said Madeleine Fortney in response to a question about her opinion of good ol’ Donnie.  With the title of President of the United States up for grabs next year, a great deal of America has rallied behind Trump, and all the rest are embarrassed that he has gotten this far.  When you equate the greatly divided country to an equally segregated high school, Trump is that popular kid that everyone hates.

He’s strutting down the hallway in between classes with a gait that indicates he owns the entire establishment.  In between frequent hair tosses, he is dapping people up in the most obnoxious way possible.  The most heinously annoying person in sight, he has a way of sucking all of the air out of the building, as if it existed for his sake only.  Perhaps it’s his noticeable pudge and fake tan, or maybe his smirking face.  More likely than not it’s the way he bullies everyone to get what he wants, since of course everyone else is a “loser.”  It’s Donnie Trump – THAT kid from high school.

When asked whether they would be friends with a student-age Trump, the kindest answer offered was from senior Kathleen Herrlein: “He’d definitely be that kid who I hang out with in the back of the classroom, but I don’t know if we would hang out on the weekend or anything.  You know, giggle with him when no one else is talking.”

Perhaps it’s a more forgiving outlook than the majority of the world has of Trump.  Many Americans share the belief that the United States would become the laughing stock of the world if Trump won the Presidency. “I think it would damage our reputation even more than it already is with people outside of this country,” said english teacher Ms. McCabe. Ms. Benites agreed, “I think it would just make us more of a joke.”

The most accurate description of Trump thus far was illustrated by Herrlein, “Trump is basically President Snow.”  It’s a parallel drawn because of her prediction that, should Trump win the presidency, “Many people will leave, first of all.  We would have a bit of a population problem on our hands.  As for the people who stay, I think they’re all gonna be a bit confused for the first few years, but by year 2.5 people will start making their own small governments and countries.”  

Freshman Colin Martinez admitted, “It’d be funny to see, but I don’t want it to happen.”

Although Trump has been the butt end of numerous jokes over the years, the tables have turned as the greater deal of the United States watches, mortified, as the numbers keep rolling in – marking Trump as a serious competitor for the Presidency, or at the very least the Republican candidacy.  He seems to embraced the old adage of “there’s no such thing as bad press,” as he has been gaining momentum in spite of his highly offensive and inappropriate positions.  “He’s a joke,” said freshman Liam Emson.  He’s been quoted blaming China for fabricating Global Warming, as well as swearing he will make Mexico build a huge wall at the border to keep out “drug lords and rapists.”  Trump has accused Obama of lying about his place of birth, and launched several investigations in an effort to dig up dirt.  He has compared gay marriage to golf.  

Amidst all his faults, Trump has a few strengths. For example, he is helping to promote enthusiasm for democracy among young voters.

“I am encouraged to go out and vote to prevent someone like that from winning the presidency because he is a racist,” said senior Michael Gould.  

Perhaps this unusual awareness that young voters have of Trump is because of his presence on social media.  It’s his happy place, where he is prone to denounce women like Rosie O’Donnell as “ugly inside and out,” or rag on President Obama for being a “loser” president.

Junior Stephanie Schofield said, “Honestly I feel like we are really in the darkest of times in the 21st century right now because we actually have a person like Trump winning in the polls for the Republican candidate.”  

And it’s true, somehow Trump is funneling in 27% of the votes, with every one of his competitors at a comfy distance behind him.  He’s got the support of seven out of ten Republican voters, should he win the candidacy.  For those who believe laziness is a trait of the blacks and have a penchant for trucker hats that say “Make America Great Again,” or even giant walls erected between our neighbors, this is great news.  For those who believe that global warming is real, or that women should not be treated as second-class citizens worth nothing but their bodies, this is alarming.  Ms. Bonzano summed up what most interviewees felt – “I’ll move Canada.”