Tips for College Visits: How to Get the Most Out of a Tour

Sifting through college choices can be an overwhelming process for any junior or senior. College tours are a crucial part of the selection process for most prospective students. Immersive and informative, visiting a school is the perfect way to observe the life of a college kid. As long as you follow these tips, you will get the most out of your college tours. 

After signing up for an official tour (because who would go to a university just to wander around alone?), make an effort to meet up with a current student you know. This gets you into buildings not covered in the official tour, such as dorms, and an honest student perspective. If possible, plan to spend the night on campus with a friend who lives in a dorm; this experience is valuable because you can scope out the social scene and living conditions. 

Next, craft some questions that pertain to you as an individual. Consider your intended major, extracurricular activities and research or internship opportunities. This will help you tailor the experience to the specific needs you will have as a student.

After arriving early to get prime parking (it can get feisty in university parking lots) and settle in, prepare for the presentation usually given by an admissions officer. Take notes and brainstorm possible follow-up questions for the subjects that piqued your interest. Do not pass up the chance to learn more about the opportunities you may or may not receive at a school. Continue this habit during the walking tour; your tour guide will give plenty of time for questions. 

Before leaving, stop by the admissions office and do your best to find the admissions officer for your school. At the very least, get their contact information: a simple email will suffice in setting you apart from other applicants from your school. 

Lastly, stay calm throughout your admissions process. Try your best to enjoy the fun moments and remember that college is what you make of it. Wherever you end up will be a wonderful place to be. Good luck!