The Best and the Worst: Hoco Sign Edition

One Yorktown homecoming ask.
    One Yorktown homecoming ask.
    Courtesy of Melody Linville

With homecoming only a few days away, many people have already been asked, or have asked someone else to the dance. The asks are a grand gesture, most likely accompanied with a giant poster, colorful flowers or even gifts. Each sign tends to have a pun, in a lot of cases rhyming with the person’s name.

Most of the homecoming asks happen at school usually in the atrium or the courtyard. They can happen either before, during or after classes. Almost every time, friends are taking pictures of the asks and posting them on their Snapchat stories. For the most part, girls will say yes to homecoming if there is a sign included. Usually if a guy is asking a girl to homecoming, he may not even make his own sign. Often times, the guy has one of his friends make it for him, usually a girl.

Ellie Billings made the sign for her fellow freshman Liam Anderson.

“It took me around an hour and it was really fun to make,” Billings said.    

Anderson asked Lydia Boesel with a giant poster in one hand that said, “Homecoming would be DUM without you?” and a bouquet of Dum Dums lollipops in the other, which was also made by Billings.

“If someone put the time and effort into making me a sign, I would probably say yes, but if he had someone else make it for him, I would consider saying no if I didn’t want to go with him,” freshman Shay Montgomery said.   

Sophomore Caelan Mcsweny used a pun involving Yangdon Fenner’s name in his sign. “Will you be the ying to my yangdon @ hoco?” All of the “o’s” in the sign were decorated to be the ying and yang symbols.

Henry Gwyn, a sophomore, asked his classmate, Ella Clough and his sign said “Hoco would be hELLA fun with you pt. 2?” Gwyn asked her in the courtyard after school.

Senior Peter Scarborough asked Grace Moore with a poster that read “Grace me with your presence at homecoming?” Surprisingly, Scarborough made his own sign by himself.

Not all homecoming asks need a sign, just ask senior Roary Weis. She was asked by Cole Woods. He brought her a bag of bagels and on the side of the bag was written, “Hoco?”

After her field hockey game, freshman Sydney Polly was asked by Ben Rosenthal with a sign that said “Syd you’re a beast on the field will you be my beauty at hoco?” This clever sign has to do with Polly’s favorite Disney movie, Beauty and the Beast.

Senior Jack Goodwin asked Cate Barrett before she gave him a ride to school; “I couldn’t bear it if you didn’t go to homecoming with me?” was written boldly on a poster along with a fluffy teddy bear.

However, not all homecoming proposals go as planned. Senior Anelise Johnson was asked by two boys, one of which she had to say no to.

“I got asked twice and the first time I said yes, but then I texted him later and said no because we aren’t really friends and we don’t have a lot of classes together. He was going to ask someone else before me anyway. Now I’m going with Dylan Duhamel and he asked me with flowers and my favorite food.” Johnson said.

With so many different homecoming proposals, it is difficult to decide on the most creative and best one. However, in many eyes the sign that topped all of the other ones was one made by a junior, Eric Shellhouse. He asked Katya Olsen after school at the entrance of the turf field. Olsen is an amazing athlete. She does track and she plays lacrosse and gymnastics. His sign included all of these “Katya, I had to track you down, to check if you would make me flip out by saying yes 2 hoco?” The words track, check and flip were colorful and drawn to resemble the sports terms. The beautiful sign came with a bouquet of pink roses.

“I wrote her name, but that was about it. Her friends did the rest,” Shellhouse said, when asked if he made his own sign.