Do not Fear the Finals

Students have started preparing for finals.
Bergen Romness

Students have begun to prepare for a caffeine and cramming overload as they near the most dreaded week of the school year: finals week. This week can be very challenging, as it culminates the year and tests students’ knowledge of each course. However, many students have found ways to cope with all the stress and pressure of their various tests and projects. Junior Audrey Gilligan shared how she gets through the week.

“Even though this may sound pretty generic, I make sure I am well-rested and eat a great breakfast. I also take a lot of naps whenever I can,” Gilligan said.

Lack of sleep can negatively impact your testing and focus abilities, so a good night’s sleep before a final can make all the difference. Breakfast is also extremely important for giving you energy to face the day. Feeling one hundred percent going into an exam is the key to testing well.

Studying can seem very daunting when you are faced with the entirety of your curriculum, but there are tricks on how to effectively soak up all the information. Finding a quiet place without any distractions can be essential to focus on what you need. The environment a student is in can greatly affect their ability to retain information. Giving yourself brain breaks is another smart way to study. Senior Natalie Denny gave some insight on how she has perfected her study habits over her four years at our school.

“It’s really helpful to keep all of your flash cards that you’ve made throughout the year and use them to study for you’re finals,” Denny said.

Being active or exercising can also relieve stress when you are cramming for a big final. Being on a sports team can get your mind off approaching exams and help you take a break to be active. Taking a walk or getting fresh air is good for the mind and body during finals week. When managing your study schedule, it is a good idea to take plenty of breaks and help your body stay healthy.

Everyone has different methods of studying, so finding the habits that best suit you are important for finals week. Not letting the stress overwhelm you can seem like a hard task but with the right mindset and tricks of the trade you can rock finals week.