Best Boy Band Since One Direction

Up and coming boy band, Brockhampton.
Up and coming boy band, Brockhampton.
Courtesy of Brockhampton

The wildly creative boy band Brockhampton has been on the rise since brought together by a once solo artist, Kevin Abstract. With over ten members that all contribute to the music, they produce an insanely unique sound that helps craft truly special music. One thing that is apparent when listening to their music is that they all put forth their best efforts and want to make sure they take advantage of their time on each track. The self proclaimed best boy band since One Direction has obvious natural, raw talent that is sure to take the world by storm.

In 2015, Kevin Abstract formed Brockhampton after he posted online asking if anyone wanted to join a band. He got a lot of responses and the people he chose eventually joined together to form Brockhampton. The band quickly released a few singles that can still be found on Youtube, but they have been taken off streaming services. In March of 2016 they released a free debut mixtape All American Trash. The band gained decent success from this mixtape but it is no comparison to their second album “Saturation.” Saturation helped them acquire the attention they deserve and put them more in a mainstream point of view.

After the release of Saturation, they announced that it was apart of a series. They announced Saturation 2 and then released a few singles leading up to the release. With a bigger audience anticipating Saturation 2, Brockhampton delivered an album full of crazy and unique music bringing on even more listeners. After this successful release they announced the release of Saturation 3. With the funky lead single “BOOGIE” they went for their craziest sound yet. The final installment of the series went on to peak at fifteen on the Billboard top albums chart as they delivered yet again with a solid project.

Although in the past they announced that the Saturation series was going to contain their last studio album, they have confirmed new projects coming. The group has been teasing an upcoming album titled “Team Effort,” and on March 20, they posted an image on Twitter that read: “Team Effort was scheduled to be released next week, but we spoke to god and she told us to save the album for another time.” That same day they posted another picture on Twitter that looks like it could be an album cover that reads “Puppy.” The cover also states that it’s coming summer 2018 which means Brockhampton fans could be getting two projects from them in the next six months.

Sophomores Peter Ogden and William McLennan had different feelings towards Brockhampton. Ogden had never heard of the group, but McLennan is a big fan. Even though they have different histories with the group, they feel the same way about calling them a boy band.

“[They’re not a boy band] because they rap,” McLennan said.

“[They’re not a boy band] because boy bands are pop,” Ogden said.

McLennan also sees their evergrowing creativity as a very engaging asset to watching them live.

“[I would see them live] because they’re energetic and it would be a good time,” McLennan said.

This exotic band made an appearance at arguably the biggest music festival of the year, Coachella. The festival features big time names like Beyoncé and Eminem, so it is a big deal for a growing band like Brockhampton to land an appearance. With opportunities like these, the popularity of the band will undoubtedly continue to rise. With new music coming soon and a possible headlining tour, the best boy band since One Direction has something for everyone and  is on the rise towards well-deserved attention.