Senior Boat Party: New and Improved

Organized by the Parent Teacher Association (PTA), the Boat Party is a late-night cruise on the Potomac River for the graduating senior class.
Bergen Romness

For many years, the Senior Boat Party has served as the school’s official graduation night farewell to the recently diplomaed students. Organized by the Parent Teacher Association (PTA), the Boat Party is a late-night cruise on the Potomac River for the graduating senior class that includes catered food, multiple dance floors and photo booths, among other attractions.

In recent years, the popularity of the Boat Party amongst seniors has declined due to increased class sizes. The traditional boat for the event, the Cherry Blossom, only has a holding capacity of 250-300 passengers, which has not been enough to accommodate the larger number of students. After talks of canceling the Boat Party began circulating in the PTA, senior parents Brigitta Pari and Becky O’Neil stepped up to co-chair the planning of this year’s party. Working with the senior class Student Government Association (SGA), the pair began coordinating this year’s new and improved party.

The first order of business for the co-chairs was to reserve a new boat for the event that would both enhance the party going experience and have enough space to be suitable for the larger number of students attending. They believe that they have found the ideal boat in the Spirit of Washington.

“The new boat for this year’s party, the Spirit of Washington, is totally renovated and can accommodate over 600 people in its four decks. It also has its own catering and clean up services…two new dance floors, and an open-air top deck with outdoor foosball and other games,” Pari said.

On top of having a new venue, Pari and O’Neil have further emphasized creating a safe alcohol and drug-free environment that has long been an important part of the event. They hope that graduation night, which is infamous for parties that have resulted in the death of graduates from alcohol or drug-related causes, can be spent safely at the Boat Party and also allow parents to have peace of mind in regards to their child’s safety.

“In the past, there have been tragedies on graduation night across the United States. As much as everybody might want to party after graduation, I think that they will also want to wake up the next day and go to college. The environment of the party will allow for students to not have to worry about others or themselves and avoid situations with peer pressure and just have safe fun,” O’Neil said.  

“Kids who are 18 are not 21. We want to treat 18-year-olds and high school graduates as adults and adults obey the law…I hope people know what is expected of them and the proper behavior that should be had. It is important to know that you can have a good time in an alcohol and drug-free environment,” Pari said.

Students attending the party also appreciate the environment created as they feel it protects themselves and their peers from the harms and pressures of graduation night partying.    

“I think that [the alcohol and drug-free] policy keeps a lot of people safe. If they were not so strict about that, there would probably be a lot of problems on that night,” senior Grace Allen said.

“I definitely feel more comfortable knowing everyone is safe,” senior Enrique Drake said.

Another draw of the event for students is the idea that it will be the last hurrah for their class as a whole. Attendees hope to continue the long-standing custom that is the Boat Party while enjoying one final evening of celebration with their peers.

“[The Boat Party] will be one of the last times to hang out with all of my classmates before we go to college,” senior Liam Wells said.

“[The Boat Party] is a Yorktown tradition and it will be really fun as one last big thing to do with all of your classmates,” Allen said.

Overall, this year’s Senior Boat Party looks to be another excellent send-off of the senior class before they sail away from Yorktown and into their futures.

For more information about the Senior Boat Party and to purchase tickets to the event, click on the link below:

http://www.yhspta.org/boat-party/