Gerber’s Influential 2018 Spokesbaby

This+year%E2%80%99s+Gerber+baby+photo+choice+is+especially+significant+because+the+2018+baby+is+the+first+with+down+syndrome.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Gerber’s Influential 2018 Spokesbaby

This year’s Gerber baby photo choice is especially significant because the 2018 baby is the first with down syndrome.

Courtesy of TODAY

Courtesy of TODAY

Courtesy of TODAY

Eliza Howard, Sentry Staff Reporter

2018’s Gerber Baby Photo Search has changed the face of the company forever. Since 2010, the Gerber Baby contest has taken over social media. This year’s choice is especially significant because the 2018 baby is the first Gerber baby with down syndrome. Meet Lucas Warren, the one year old winner from Dalton, Georgia. With his fun personality and contagious smile, Warren’s submitted picture won the hearts of the company.

“He’s very outgoing and never meets a stranger…he loves to play, loves to laugh and loves to make other people laugh,” mother Courtney Warren said.

Submitted on a whim by his parents, Warren was contacted by the company to receive the good news. Warren had caught the eye of Bill Partyka, chief executive and president of Gerber. Selected from over 140,000 submissions, Warren was chosen to be the face of the influential company.

“Every year, we choose the baby who best exemplifies Gerber’s long-standing heritage of recognizing that every baby is a Gerber baby… this year, Lucas is the perfect fit,” Partyka said.

Gerber baby started in 1928 and was in need of a baby representative. The once sketched baby was brought to life in 2010 when Gerber decided to reach out to their consumers to find a new “spokesbaby.” The contest blew up and has since had thousands of applications through social media. Warren’s parents hope that his winning will help provide a good role model for kids like him.

“We hope this will help people kick-start their own lives and give them more confidence… they might think that if Lucas can do this, what can I do in my own life?” father Jason Warren said.

Warren’s breakthrough has changed the course of social media and advertising forever. By bringing a fresh new face to the industry, his campaign will hopefully impact the industry by increasing the diversity in big campaigns like Gerbers. Gerber has received positive feedback from consumers for their representation in their campaign. Warren’s addition adds even more to the already diverse campaign. Gerber previous winners show a variety of different ethnicities and cultures. Warren’s mother appreciates how Gerber is bringing light to Warren’s condition and how his winning will make people more accepting of those with disabilities.

“We know Gerber chose him because of his cuteness, but it also is spreading awareness of acceptance of people with disabilities of all kinds… no matter if we have a disability or not, we’re all just humans,” Courtney Warren said.