APS Computer Update

In addition to a change in teaching style, there are concerns that students are abusing the strictly instructional use of laptops.
Lindsey Bowers

The Arlington Public Schools (APS) policy through which every freshman receives an Apple MacBook Air has been in place for nearly four years now. The controversial decision to provide high schoolers with personal devices has stuck. While many people enjoy the change in teaching style, others prefer paper and pen. In addition to a change in teaching style, there are many concerns that students are abusing the strictly instructional use of laptops.

Freshman Henry Rehr was among one of the many excited students to receive a laptop this year. Rehr noticed the change in curriculum right away.

“[With laptops,] learning is a lot easier and quicker since you can get a jump on online homework which really helps. Overall, my experience with a computer has been good,” Rehr said.

Senior Emily Brooks has had her school laptop throughout all of high school. Along with all the other seniors this year, she will be returning her computer before heading off to college.

“I had a good experience with the computer my freshman and sophomore years. At that time, my [laptop] was working great and was very useful to have in the class and at home. [However,] now my laptop breaks, so I miss out of class when I can’t use it,” Brooks said.

Brooks is among the many students who has experienced laptop difficulties. In a school where every student has their own computer, there are bound to be problems. Most students have issues with WiFi or software. Although these issues can be fixed, it takes time. Some students have their own personal laptops since the ones provided by the school limit website access and often experience difficulties.

“I have an additional laptop because mine kept breaking and it became way too slow to function. It started getting in the way of doing my schoolwork because I couldn’t do anything at school and I didn’t always have an open computer at home. I had to get one that worked for me and that I could depend on,” Brooks said.

One of the biggest advantages of having a laptop throughout high school is the experience students gain from online-based learning. In college, it is expected for students to be comfortable completing assignments and taking notes on a computer. Senior Rose Goldstein is grateful for the exposure she has with these skills before attending college.  

“Having a laptop has definitely helped me develop my note taking skills for college and has given me exposure to online-based learning resources,” Goldstein said.

For the past four years, teachers have incorporated online based learning throughout their curriculum. In addition to using laptops during class, students can submit and access assignments at home. Chemistry teacher Laurie Vena posts videos of herself demonstrating labs in order to prepare students for class.

“[Before we had computers,] every period I would do the same [lab demonstration]. It was extremely repetitive for me to do that. Now that students have laptops, it has been very freeing. I make videos and tell students to go home and give them a watch. [However,] it is never the same as actually doing it,” Vena said.  

Coordinator of Instructional Technology, Samuel Wightman, has been distributing computers for the past two years. As head of the schools’ technology department, Wightman sees the various advantages in having student laptops.

“It is a benefit that we have resources in the hands of every single student. I think there is a lot of potential in it… but the county could have benefited more from training the students and teachers in using the devices more proficiently from the beginning,” Wightman said.

It is hard to believe that just four years ago the controversial decision was made to provide every incoming freshman with a MacBook Air. Since then, the school has seen many changes within the classroom, and at home. There have been both positive and negative aspects of having laptops in the classrooms, but regardless, laptops have undeniably left a lasting impact on the school and its students.