A Look into the Future

Seniors will soon have to decide where to spend their senior experience.
Bergen Romness

While seniors are currently scrambling to get into college, they will also soon have to decide where to spend their senior experience, an opportunity to gain valuable exposure to life beyond college. Senior experience is typically their first taste of what it is like to have a sustainable job. Some utilize senior experience as a way to get out of school a few weeks early, but many see it as a chance to explore the next step in their lives and it provides those students a platform to do so.  

Sarah Bloomquist has already decided to work at a Biotech firm and learn how they work with the federal government to implement policy for her senior experience. She has prior involvement in this field and will be using the time for senior experience to obtain further exposure at a professional level.

“I’m very passionate about government, specifically how it relates to technology, and

I have interned for the government for the past two summer. My senior experience is an extension of that passion,” Bloomquist said.

As a person who is dedicated and motivated to find the next step of her life, Bloomquist was complimentary of the opportunities that it allows for.

“I think with senior experience you test out fields that interest you and find out through that work experience if it’s really something you’re genuinely interested in,” Bloomquist said.

Meghan O’Donnell has decided to visit San Diego, California for her senior experience and will be working with an occupational therapist. O’Donnell is focused on pursuing her dreams and is excited about making the trip to the west coast.

“This will be an important experience because it is an occupation I really would like to go into, and it will be a good test to see if I really do like it,” O’Donnell said.

She feels strongly that senior experience should not be taken lightly as it allows students to grasp a taste of potential career paths.

“People do things that can help them know what they want to study in college… this keeps us busy and puts us in the real work world. Some people have not even had a job yet,” O’Donnell said.

Senior golfer Michael Muth has always been very keen about the sport, so he had no hesitation when the opportunity arose for him to work at Reston National Golf Course for his senior experience.

“Golf has been a passion of mine for most of my life.  Doing something I am enthusiastic about doing for my senior experience was important to me,” Muth said.

Having a sports background, Muth implied that ideally, he would work for a professional sports organization for his senior experience.

“Hearing about people that work for sports teams like the [Washington] Nationals seems like it would be really fun, but it usually requires some connections to get an offer to work there,” Muth said.

When asked about whether he viewed senior experience as an invaluable step towards the future, Muth thinks that beyond the significant benefits in gaining contact to the professional world, it can be important in discovering the upcoming path that one chooses to take through their education.

“Senior experience is a great way to learn about a field that interests you and I hope to learn a lot about how to supervise a golf course and work with individuals looking to learn about the game. It will also be a nice way to relax after the finals and get ready for the summer before college,” Muth said.

It is always a question whether or not senior experience is worth missing school time, but when students are traveling and fulfilling their dreams, it is hard to oppose these experiences that can only be gained beyond the classroom. When students begin the process of finding out what they want to do for senior experience, it is best to start with what interests them the most because it will be more fun. Furthermore, there is always a possibility that it will facilitate relationships with people who can help steer students down the road to success.