Five Heartwarming Stories Sure to Brighten Up Your Day

The overwhelming support throughout the country for those in need makes people smile!
Lindsey Bowers

After the overwhelming amount of negative stories released this month, many uplifting stories like these haven’t made headlines. Here are 5 stories sure to brighten up your day.

1.Malala Yousafzai attends her first day at Oxford on the anniversary of the taliban shooting.

Malala Yousafzai grew up in northern Pakistan during a time of tyrannic control. At the age of 10, Yousafzai started her blog on BBC that described her life under the Taliban and her views on promoting education for young girls. While talking with friends on the bus, Yousafzai was shot by the Taliban. After a year of recovery in Queen Elizabeth’s hospital, she was well enough to go back to school. Her involvement in educational rights won her the title of the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.

After five years of advocating for educational rights, Yousafzai was accepted to the University of Oxford. On October 9, the anniversary of Yousafzai’s shooting, she attended her first day at Oxford.

“Five years ago, I was shot in an attempt to stop me from speaking out for girls’ education. Today, I attend my first lectures at Oxford,” Yousafzai tweeted.

1. Members of the Las Vegas community show overwhelming support to the victims.

After the Las Vegas shooting on October 1, citizens of the community are doing all they can to help the survivors in need. The Route 91 music festival on the Las Vegas strip was interrupted when a gunman opened fire from across the street at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. Having left around 60 dead and 500 or more wounded, help was desperately needed. After news of the shooting broke out, United Blood Services and the University Medical Center were bombarded with volunteers ready to help. The turnout was remarkable. Centers could not take any more blood due to the amount of volunteers.

The citizens around the metropolitan area were very dedicated to the cause. Many volunteers arrived at the centers before they even opened.

“Parking lot of blood donation center on Charleston is full. At 3:48am. #Vegas is strong and compassionate,” David Shuman tweeted.

1. Southwest shows support for animals in need after Hurricane Harvey.

As Hurricane Harvey struck Texas, families were forced to evacuate their hometowns. As the evacuating began, thousands of pets were stranded all across Texas. The overflow of pets in animal shelters led to extreme overcrowding. On September 5, Southwest decided to join forces with the Helen Woodward Animal Center to help the animals in need. Through the efforts of animal rescue groups and volunteers, dozens of animal crates were packed into a donated San Diego-bound airplane. Approximately 80 cats and dogs were saved from Texas and then transported to San Diego.

This is not the first time Southwest has donated an airplane. When Hurricane Sandy hit the New Jersey shoreline, Southwest was quick to donate an airplane to help transport animals in need.

Helen Woodward Animal Rescue Center’s CEO, Mike Arms, is thankful for the Southwest employees’ donated time after the hurricane.

“We are honored to help save those lives and we are lucky to have incredible friends like Southwest to help make this all possible,” Arms said.

1. Homecoming is saved for Texas citizens after over 3,00 dresses were donated.

The efforts made across the country for Hurricane Harvey don’t stop there. With homecoming season soon ahead, girls across Texas were left without a dress for their big day. That’s when fifteen-year-old, Ashley Reel, organized a social media page for schools impacted by the Hurricane. Many of Reels classmates clothes were all swept away by the Hurricane and were in desperate need of a perfect dress. Reel was astonished by the amount of dresses donated.

“I thought it would be one or two girls. I didn’t think it would be this crazy,” Reel said.

Over 3,000 dresses were donated across the country. And for teen Shyanne Prothro, her homecoming wouldn’t have been the same without her donated dress.

“I am very happy to get this dress. It was like a dream come true,” Prothro said.

1. The Yorktown community is getting ready for the annual Best Buddies walk to support a wonderful cause.

The Best Buddies Friendship walk around the mall is coming up this weekend!  On October 21st, the walk will be arriving to Washington D.C, on their annual walk around the mall. For sophomore Emily Benjamin, the walk is what she described to be one of the most positive events happening in her life right now. The Best Buddies walk is an event that she looks forward to every year.

Benjamin has been involved in the club for 2 years now, and she highly recommends that everyone joins the club and attends the walk.

“Best Buddies is a club that pairs kids with intellectual disabilities with students to create one on one friendships that lasts forever,” Benjamin said.

Her experience at last year’s walk was amazing and everyone in the Yorktown community had a blast.

“I was involved in the club last year and the walk was a great opportunity to meet so many new people and get close to the buddies,” Benjamin said.

Benjamin is very excited for the walk this year. She can’t wait to see the amount of amazing people who come out and support Best Buddies. She is always amazed by the turn out and the positive energy everyone gives off.

“Im super excited for the walk this year to see how many people come out to support the cause. It’s a super fun activity! There is food dancing, and the walk around the mall. Everyone should come,” Benjamin said.