Person To Know: Nicholas Kuppens

Mr. Kuppens is known for his humor in school

Lindsey Bowers

Lindsey Bowers

Lindsey Bowers, Sentry Staff Reporter

Massachusetts native Nicholas Kuppens is known by his students for his drive to help them succeed. Kuppens, an Advanced Placement (AP) economics teacher of four years at Yorktown, did not plan on teaching economics.

“I was kind of thrown into it; the person who taught before me left at the end of the summer, so I was the only person. They hired me, but I had never taught it before. I grew to like it,” Kuppens said.

Kuppens has been teaching economics for many years prior to his four at Yorktown, including teaching in Nantucket for two years and in Fairfax for five years. Kuppens started his career at Bates College in Maine, where he received a bachelor’s degree in political science with a minor in education, and then a master’s degree in political science and public administration. Throughout his life, Kuppens has enjoyed working at several different jobs.

“I used to work in restaurants for a long time. Up until my second year teaching here, I was working three to four nights a week at a restaurant. I loved it, I love to cook and learn more about food,” Kuppens said.

Aside from his work at Yorktown, Kuppens continues another career during his summers. After growing up in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, he sticks to his roots and pursues a career there.

“I am a professional lifeguard in the summer on Cape Cod National Seashore. It’s beautiful, and the largest protected seashore in the country. It’s 28 miles,” Kuppens said.

When not busy sitting in the lifeguard chair on the beach, he enjoys tearing up the waves with his surfboard, along with his wife. Kuppens has been drawn to water for most of his life, as he swam for the Bates College swim team. Kuppens enjoys spending time at the beach and staying active while he can’t be at the beach.

When the summer comes to an end, Kuppens returns to Arlington to teach. His favorite quality in his students is their creativity.

“I love that the band is playing in the morning sometimes, and other students come out to watch. I am also a big supporter of the one person shows, I find it unique that Yorktown students can put on such great shows by themselves,” Kuppens said.

There are many great parts to being a teacher, but overall, his students stand out to him. As a teacher, Kuppens wants all of his students to succeed and grow. His drive is that of the students themselves, and helping teach others.

“I want to help my students. My drive is helping teach others. Trying to help someone out each day is motivating to me,” Kuppens said.

Kuppens has a life filled with sand and sun, but also books and knowledge. Kuppens has an admirable attitude towards helping students. Although economics plays a large role throughout his school day, he continues to explore his love of the beach and outdoor activities during the summer. Kuppens has created quite an interesting and eventful life for himself with many experiences, making him an incredible person to know.

1,690 total views, 8 views today