Fluff Not Ruff

The Puppy Bowl is a fun game for everyone to watch

Bergen Romness

Bergen Romness

Michael Lowen, Sentry Staff Reporter

Before the New England Patriots played the Atlanta Falcons, Team Fluff took on Team Ruff in Animal Planet’s annual event, the Puppy Bowl. Puppy Bowl XIII featured 78 dogs from 22 states, all of which came from rescue shelters and are available for adoption. The puppies were divided into two teams, each set of pooches wearing different colored bandannas. Dan Schachner once again served as the game’s “rufferee,” while a group of rabbits and guinea pigs were cheering from the sidelines.

For a team to score a touchdown, one of the players must grab a toy that is laying on the field and run into the end zone without dropping it. Sometimes, dogs can be stopped and tackled by other dogs who steal the toy; however, many dogs have a clear lane to the end zone since many dogs will often stop for a water break, which is a bowl located in the middle of the field.

Team Fluff got on the board early as Rory avoided his opponents all the way down the field,  as well as the tempting water bowl, to gain a 7-0 lead. Rory went on to score another two touchdowns just in the first quarter Despite the huge lead Team Fluff took in the first quarter, leading 28-7, Team Ruff did not give up. Puddles was able to sneak into the endzone to score a touchdown for Team Rough. This touchdown by Puddles was highly important since it gave Team Ruff some confidence going into the rest of the game.

Early in the second quarter, Daisy juked out multiple defenders and scored a touchdown for Team Ruff, leaving the other pups in the dust. Now the game is back within reach with Team Ruff only trailing 28-17. Alexander Hamilpup, a pomsky on Team Fluff, lost his temper after the Daisy touchdown, resulting in almost an immediate penalty against his team. There are many ways to score in the Puppy Bowl, but Nikita’s touchdown in the second quarter was unprecedented. She found her way to the end zone along with one of the referee’s flags. An uncommon object to take for seven points, but counts the same as any other toy.

The half time show for Puppy Bowl XIII starred a cat (Kity Gaga) wearing a meat dress. Kity Gaga wowed fans with a stirring rendition of Puparazzi. This gave the audience something to be excited about while they waited for the start of the second half of the game.

As Team Fluff attempted to score once again in the third quarter, Team Ruff’s Daisy saved the day. At only 13 weeks old, Daisy played like a veteran. She took the ball over 90 yards for a touchdown. Her score cut Team Fluff’s lead to just two scores, keeping the game close. Late in the third quarter, Team Fluff already had a commanding lead, and then Blitz scored off of a turnover from five yards out, giving Team Fluff an even bigger  65-31 lead late in the third quarter.

After the score of Blitz late in the third quarter, the game started to get out of hand. Team Fluff proceeded to score touchdowns left and right and absolutely dominated the fourth quarter. After a dominant performance throughout, Team Fluff pulled off the 93-38 victory in the highest-scoring Puppy Bowl ever. The MVP was Rory, a poodle-terrier mix who set the tone early by adding three touchdowns for Team Fluff in the first quarter alone.

This game is a great way for dogs to have fun and show themselves off to possible owners. Usually before the game airs, most of the dogs have already been adopted. So for someone to adopt one of these fierce competitors, they will need to act fast. For more information on the event and the adoption process this website can be a great way to learn more.

Puppy Bowl