Underneath: Good Things in 2016

2016 had a lot of positive events to balance out the bad ones

Bergen Romness

Bergen Romness

Nina Rutzen, Sentry Staff Reporter

From nightclub shootings in Orlando to the outbreak of the Zika Virus, it was a year filled with tragedies. Underneath all of the unhappiness and regret in 2016, there were some events that were able lift up people’s spirits around the world. However, 2016 was also a year filled with monumental advancements that have an impact in today’s society. Scientists and doctors especially made many medical advances throughout the course of 2016.

One advancement in medicine was a new chemotherapy treatment that allows melanoma patients to live up to three years longer. This treatment also allows victims of lung cancer to live up to two years longer. Although the treatment is very expensive (upwards of $150,000 a year), it is worth it in order to prolong the life of a loved one.

In the United States alone, heart disease has decreased by 70%. It used to be one of the top causes of death in the USA, but it has been gradually making its way off the list.

Endangered animals all around the world started to make a comeback in 2016. Giant pandas and tigers are coming back by the hundreds. Other animals, like the rhinoceros, are also slowly making their way off of the endangered species list. The most impactful event that put animals on the list is the destroying of their natural habitats. However, it is evident that people are becoming more environmentally conscious and starting to learn how conserve and protect the environment.

In 2016, the graduation rate in the United States was at an all time high. There is an increase in the amount of attention to students. There are some students who face poverty or other obstacles that would not allow them to be independant in adulthood. They have been getting lots of attention in the classroom. Students have been working harder than ever and it is definitely paying off.

The United States has also made progress in fostering healthy diplomatic relations with other countries, specifically Cuba. For the first time, tourism is starting up in Cuba and Americans are happy to finally be able to visit the beautiful country. Tourism will also help to boost Cuba’s economy and hopefully the United States can continue to further their relationship with Cuba for the better.

America’s interest in space exploration increased 2016. The Juno spaceship finally reached Jupiter after being launched on August 5, 2011. In space, gravitational waves were detected that proved Einstein’s theory of relativity to be correct. Einstein thought that when two stars circled each other, over time they eventually got closer and closer. After millions of years, they would collide, thus forming a black hole. In 2016, this was proven to be correct.

Women continue making a huge impact in society. They are especially making a tremendous footprint in the workforce. In the United States, Harriet Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on the 20 dollar bill. In other parts of the world, such as Canada, women are beginning to appear on currency. Also, for the first time ever, a woman won the popular vote in a presidential general election. Hillary Clinton was the democratic nominee for the President of the United States of America. And although she did not win over the electoral college, she won among a majority of the people.

2016 had many major downfalls, but overall, it was a year of improvement. We have furthered our knowledge of the world around us and this trend will hopefully continue through 2017.