No-Shave November

Senior Christian Cleaveland shows off his No Shave November beard
Lindsey Bowers

November can be an exciting time for people with the holidays right around the corner. There is not only spirit in the air, but facial hair as well. In order to support cancer awareness, people do not shave to recognize men and women who have cancer. These patients sadly lose their hair due to treatments that they need in order to battle this horrible and devastating disease. No-Shave November is a time for people to appreciate their hair and let it grow wild and free.

Senior Christian Cleaveland is one of many people around the world who view this tradition as a very important time, not only to grow facial hair, but to support those in need as well.

“No-Shave November needs to be observed as a national holiday, just like Halloween and Christmas,” Cleaveland said.

“We [grow beards] to raise awareness for people who lose their hair, and because growing facial hair is just dope,” Cleaveland said. As a senior, Cleaveland is able to grow an exceptional beard, and he takes pride in that, which is obvious through the full beard he has already.

“I will be [growing out my beard] for the entire year, I will be extending it for all twelve months of the year, so yes, I guess in particular I will be doing November,” Cleaveland said after he was asked whether or not he would grow it out for No-Shave November.

Luckily for Cleaveland, he is able to grow a nice looking beard, but this is not the case for everyone in high school. Junior Olivia Olson likes the idea of No-Shave November, but she sadly can not grow a beard.

“I think it is pretty funny, and since we are in high school and not everyone can grow a beard, when someone can it is really funny,” Olson said.

“If [someone] can grow a beard, then they should do [No-Shave November], but if not then there is no point since it is going to look dumb,” Olson said.  When Olson was asked who she thought the best person to grow their beard out was, her answer was not surprising.

“Christian [Cleaveland] can grow a beard, I think it is pretty impressive,” Olson said.

There have been questions about how girls participate in No-Shave November, so Olson shed light onto the actions girls take in order to spread awareness. Since girls can not grow beards, they resort to other ways in order to show their support.

“I do not feel left out that I can not grow a beard, because I would not actually want to have one. Lucky for [girls] since it is cold, and we are going to wear pants anyways, some girls do not shave their legs during November,” Olson said.

It is not only seniors who can grow beards, junior Carson Wood will also be participating in this event, and lucky for him, he is able to grow some decent facial hair.

“I will be growing out my beard for all of November, and it is gonna be sweet,” Wood said. Some students are restricted to grow facial hair due to either rules made by their parents or sometimes, girlfriends.

“[My girlfriend] is not a huge fan of my beard, but she will be okay with it because it is for a good cause,” Wood said. Lucky for him, his girlfriend is not going to forbid the beard, so he is good to go in November.

People should be encouraged to participate, and grow out their beards during this time. Not only are beards “dope”, but it is helping out a cause that affects so many people in our community. Hopefully, once November comes to an end, there will be some full beards for students to admire as they walk through the halls.