Getting To Know Jordii Yee

Sophomore Jordii Yee has made a huge impact on the Yorktown community
Lindsey Bowers

The Minority Student Achievement Network (MSAN) is an organization that places a strong emphasis on eliminating racial disparities that exist in school. As a leader of MSAN, sophomore Jordii Yee hopes to influence minority students to close this gap. Anyone can see that Yee is a natural leader and the epitome of a role model. He will stop at nothing to help his fellow minority peers.

Before his freshman year, Yee’s stepmother received a job opportunity that brought them to the United States. His father joined the two of them this year. Transferring to a new school is challenging and nerve-wracking for anyone, so it must have been especially scary for Yee, who was coming all the way from Jamaica. But, to no surprise, he adapted quickly and became involved in academics and MSAN.

“It was not really that hard to adjust. Ms. Wiedemann and other teachers helped me,” Yee said.

Yee mentioned that there are not many differences between school in the States and school in Jamaica, but he said that students here are more friendly and willing to help him out.

“They make me feel welcome,” Yee said.

Although Yee is having a good experience here in Arlington, there are a few things from home that he wishes were not so far away. Who would not miss living in sunny and sandy Jamaica?

“My mom is not here with me. I miss her the most. I also miss some of my friends and the beach,” Yee said.

His passion for helping people shines through when he talks about how he wants empower those around him. As one of the heads of MSAN, Yee does this by planning meetings for students involved in the group. The purpose of these meetings is to inspire minority students to put forth their best efforts so that they can showcase their abilities in school. The ultimate goal is to provide these students with a strong foundation that will be instrumental in setting themselves up for a successful future.

“I would like to become a role model for others, both younger and older than me, and I like to help people,” Yee said.

MSAN recently took a trip to Chapel Hill, North Carolina for the student conference, “Every Step Leads a Trail.” The experience taught them to seize all opportunities, respect their parents and follow rules in order to thrive.

“In North Carolina, we met a lot of inspirational speakers and they told us their experiences and their life stories. They gave us advice on how to make better choices,” Yee said.

Yee chose none other than President Barack Obama as the person that influences him the most.

“When I was in Jamaica, I listened to his speeches and saw his pictures, and I think that he is an inspiration,” Yee said.

Yee is just as inspiring as our president. He has helpful advice for minority students that will encourage them to start taking charge of their lives now.

“Work hard, do not listen to the negative things that people have to say, but if you do, turn it into motivation and try to be successful,” Yee said.

Despite only being a sophomore, Yee has already impacted the school so much. We all wish him the best in all of his endeavors. There is no doubt that he is going places. You will most definitely see his name in the future.