The Holiday Spirit

As one grows older, he or she starts to realize that the holiday season is about a lot more than receiving gifts. It is important to give back to the community and to be a productive member of society. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the perfect Christmas or Hanukkah, and it is the responsibility of the fortunate ones to help them out.

There are plenty of different ways to get involved this December, whether it’s through local organizations or school clubs. The Student Government Association sponsors a toy drive every year where each third period class brings a gift for a child. Latinas Leading Tomorrow makes “thank you” cards and goodie bags for the custodial and kitchen staff. Members of National Honors Society have a wide variety of community service opportunities to choose from.     

Outside of school, a plethora of local organizations are looking for help during the holidays. According to Shari Benites, Director for the Center of Leadership and Public Service, the best way to find these opportunities is to look on the Leadership Center website or the Arlington volunteer website.

“There are a variety of needs- wrapping presents, performing for people in hospitals or retirement homes, collecting toys,” said Benites.

In addition, the Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC) is a school favorite for community service hours. It provides students with the opportunity to volunteer at a well-run organization where they can help with food distribution, bag chickens and sort food donations. It is a tremendous way to get in the holiday spirit and help out the community. The Arlington Department of Parks and Recreation also has many needs that could use the aid of volunteers. Students can help kids with disabilities learn to ride a bike or swim, help clean up a park, help at an after-school program or take part in a wide range of other unique ways to serve the community.

Although she fully supports community service around the holidays, Benites was also adamant that the holidays should not be the only time students volunteer.

“I would remind students that there are many needs in our community all year long, so don’t just do something nice for the holidays- keep it going all year,” said Benites.

While sophomores, juniors and seniors may not know it, “Respect Others, Community and Self” Day (ROCS) was actually another way for freshmen to get involved. As Josh Sundquist, the renowned paralympian and public speaker, was giving his entertaining motivational speech, freshmen were sorted into three different groups to do service projects.

“Several groups made paracord bracelets for soldiers through an organization called Operation Gratitude, another group helped bag and sort oats for AFAC and another group helped sort and make bags of toiletries for the Arlington Street People’s Assistance Network,” said counselor Jeffrey Stahl.

Freshman Ryan Van Kirk was one of many students who enjoyed the activities, taking part in the paracord bracelet project and finding it very rewarding.

“I thought it was fun because I knew I was helping the soldiers,” said Van Kirk.

So, either this holiday season or sometime over the course of the new year, it is crucial that everyone does their part to contribute to society. It is not important whether one is motivated by the holiday spirit or just the need to complete community service hours. All that matters is that he or she is making a difference.