Fresh Views on Freshman Year

A new school year means a new batch of kids beginning the next four years of their lives. High school can be hard to adjust to for many ninth graders; it is a bigger building, more work, more people and more expectations. The first month of school is difficult for everyone––especially freshman. No matter how many times they have watched High School Musical or Glee, ninth graders are not truly prepared for what high school may bring.

When asked what the biggest difference between freshmen and upperclassmen is, Principal Dr. Raymond Pasi said, “I think the biggest difference is the newness of the experience. And I like to see freshman getting accustomed to the school as I think they do and I like to see them enjoying it as I think they are.”

Pasi was right. When interviewed about how they have assimilated into Yorktown, surprisingly, freshmen seemed to have had a pretty smooth first month. Already, many seem to enjoy high school much more than middle school.

“My favorite thing about high school is not having to go to homeroom or anything––just going right to class, having six minutes to switch, and going to the food trucks.”

––freshman Nick Warnament

“I like the freedom and how you can basically eat wherever you want for lunch.”

––freshman Meaghan Donahue

“Patriot Period is great because it’s a little break where you can just go and get help if you need it.”

––freshman Kenzie Crowley

“I use my MacBook for English and World History on Google Classroom, and for different projects and presentations.”

––freshman Teddy Levin

“My favorite thing about Yorktown is the community, my teachers and the school spirit”

––freshman Thomas Outlaw

A month in and the freshmen seem to have adapted pretty well to their new environment. When asked how Yorktown helps to make the freshmen feel comfortable, Pasi said, “The upperclassmen here are so warm and helpful to the new students––just look at how many signed up to be mentors.”

Thanks to the mentors, teachers, patriot period and of course, their new Macbook Airs, the first month of school for ninth graders has been a breeze.