Denise Phalan: The Art of Saying Goodbye

As the school year comes to a close, it will also mean saying farewell to a beloved art teacher, Denise Phalan. She has taught here for twenty seven years and has been a great role model for her students.

“Ms. Phalan is a great teacher because she has a lot of good ideas and has taught me to use my creative thinking. She inspired me to do a lot of things with my art that I never would have done otherwise,” said sophomore Markus Wolf.

Her classroom is always buzzing with activity as students work on their projects, and it is clear that everyone, Phalan most of all, is passionate about what they are doing.

“I enjoy teaching all levels of art, and I could not tell you which one I like most because each has some special significance for me,” said Ms. Phalan.

Her love of art has rubbed off on her students, and her energy and experience will be sorely missed in the art department. Without Phalan around, it will be a completely different place.

Although she may be gone from the school as a teacher, Phalan will always be able to look back nostalgically on her memories from Yorktown. She was even able to name one of her favorites.

“The art classrooms used to be outside in a separate building, and, since September 11 had just occurred, people were afraid of chemical warfare. So the school system made all these plans to have a lockdown of the main building, and they told me that, in case of a disaster, they would lock the doors and I shouldn’t even bother trying to get in,” said Phalan.

Her hilarious memories will always be there for her. Leaving was by no means easy for Phalan, and it will be very difficult for the school to part ways with such a phenomenal teacher.

“It was a hard decision to leave this year, and I hope that people will think fondly of me, as I will of them. I will miss seeing happy, young faces, as well as my colleagues and the energy that I feel when I walk into this building,” said Phalan as her farewell message to the students and staff.