Francesca German: Farewell to a Friendly Face

As the school year comes to a close, not only will seniors be saying their goodbyes to the school that has become their home, but so will retiring teachers. After 18 years of hard work and dedication to our school, counselor Francesca German will be retiring at the end of the year.

German has been a part of the Yorktown community since 1996, when she started off as a part time counselor and part time psychology instructor. In 1997, German joined the counseling staff full time.

“I like working with people. I am more suited to working one on one with people, rather than working with a larger group, having to multitask,” said German.

Students who had German as a counselor saw how great she really is one on one.

“She would call me down to her office to talk one on one and personal, unlike other teachers who talk to maybe 25 students at a time and are less helpful with their advice,” said sophomore Gavin Andersen.

Yorktown has been German’s home for the past 18 years. She is going to miss every aspect of the school and thanks everyone who made her experience so memorable.

“I will miss the whole environment. I like the student population, but we also have a great group of very caring teachers, specialists, and just a very caring group of adults,” said German.

Working in the same environment for 18 years creates long lasting memories. One of German’s favorite memories of Yorktown is the music students play in the atrium.

“I am a musician, so being able to hear fellow musicians out in the atrium is always a peak experience for me. I really love listening, particularly to the jazz ensemble,” said German.

German may be leaving Yorktown at the end of the year, but she will always remember the important lessons she learned from her many years of counseling.

“I have learned the importance of acknowledging what I hear. Acknowledging when I hear someone is frustrated or worried. It’s a basic listening skill, but it extended beyond my interaction with students, with everyone in the building. Acknowledging that we all have our own pressures,” said German.

“I am going to miss being able to talk to her, you can really talk to her and she will listen,” said Andersen.

Yorktown is going to dearly miss German as she starts a new chapter in her life. Her joyful presence and kind heart during her time at Yorktown will never be forgotten.

“I would like to be remembered as a nice lady. I guess there is some wisdom, but a lot of people have wisdom. I want to be the good listener,” said German.