Put That In My Time Capsule

Put That In My Time Capsule

As the 2014-2015 school year finally draws to a close, it is not only a time for extended periods of absence and put-off homework, but it is also a time for reflection. Seniors will experience (and often announce) their last Monday, sports practice, shower, or taco of high school. In addition to documenting every last moment, seniors may also be thinking of the memories, whether positive or negative, that they are leaving behind as they move on to the next chapter of their lives.  We asked various seniors what they would put in a time capsule to represent their high school career. This is what they told us.

“I would put in three things. One, a copy of my One Person Show to remember my time in the theatre department at Yorktown and the friendships I made with my class. Two, my homecoming prince sash to remember the time that I was elected Prince and the Princess did not show up to the parade, so my friend Thomas O’Malley subbed in and everyone watched as two guys drove around. Third, my Stotesbury Regatta Cup trophy to remember the times my friends and I shared on crew such as flipping the boat, getting massive blisters and throwing each other into the river.”

-Fox Nelson

“A field hockey goalie stick, because I fell in love with field hockey in high school even though I had never heard of the sport before freshman year. A 50 Cent CD, because he’s the best rapper alive. And a Yorktown t-shirt for obvious reasons.”

-Ally Cedrone

“I would put my iPhone in the time capsule because I would be interested in seeing the things that I texted other people in 50 years.”

-Peter Johannsen

“I would put in my swim boathouse jacket, because that is my favorite jacket to wear out of any of my sports “swag” since it represents the goals I’ve made and accomplished and the fun times I’ve had on the swim team. I would also add pictures of my friends to show the close friendships I made during my years at high school. And lastly, a swim cap to further represent my love of swimming because honestly without swimming I probably wouldn’t have been able to get through high school.”

-Kait Luncher

“If I had a time capsule I would send a little reminder to myself to not come to school late so I could find an actual parking space.”

-Brenda Mauricio-Arce

“I would put in the letter from the ParentVUE people that I intercepted from my mom. She still doesn’t know I have a ParentVUE.”

-Kimberly Estoque