Guess Who’s Back

Guess Who’s Back

Although the origins of Step are not known for certain, it is suspected that the rhythmic, beat-stomping form of dance may have originated with African-American sororities and fraternities in the early 21st century. One hundred years later, our high school’s very own step team carries on the legacy, no doubt with just as much spunk and spirit as their original predecessors.

According to step team sponsor and Latin teacher Brianna McHugh, the step team originated after getting word from middle school counselors that there was a fairly strong team at Williamsburg that had the interest in continuing to step throughout high school.

“Ms. Eiserman was first contacted to be the sponsor, and she reached out to myself, Ms. Bigsby, and Mr. Lopez,” said McHugh.

Step team member and sophomore Nouf Al-Neyadi mentions that the step team usually forms a dance by getting inspiration from different songs on their own and then sharing different beats they have created when they get together at practice.

“Last practice we used Beyonce’s “7/11”; everyone comes to practice with their own beat and then it branches off from there, really whatever sounds good,” said Al-Neyadi.

The team practices twice a week for an hour and a half. Practices are mostly led by captains Al-Neyadi and freshman Ceairah Britt.

“The captains are responsible for starting practice, planning out what we should do in terms of steps that they need to learn…mostly being the drill sergeants and saying ‘Ok, we need to do this,’” said McHugh.

“We are like a family that jokes around together during practice, but we get stuff done,” added sophomore Peace Pius.

Although the team is performing at sporting events such as basketball games for now and has not entered any competitions yet, they plan to in the future.

“Since this is the first year that the team has been reinstated, we were hoping to start out with just performing at sporting events, and then as we figure out who our dedicated steppers are, work our way up to competitions…we’re also hoping to show something at the spring pep rally,” said McHugh.

In order to join these prodigious dancers, all one needs is a sense of rhythm, an attitude and determination.

“We have tryouts. If anyone wants to join we will teach you a step, then you will get placed on group B until you know all of the steps, and then to perform you get placed on group A,” said Al-Neyadi.

The team had about 20 dancers in the beginning, but now they are down to about eight dedicated steppers who come to practice consistently and work hard. The girls add that although the majority of the team is female, they encourage boys to try out as well.

“Guys can join too, we need more guys….if they got rhythm then they can do it!” said Al-Neyadi and Pius.

There is no doubt that the step team will do big things in the future.