A Schedule to Fit Student Needs

A Schedule to Fit Student Needs

After many years with a schedule that appears to be working efficiently and effectively, Yorktown might be making a drastic change. A faculty committee was assembled to find a way to address student needs and how they have changed over the past twenty or so years.  In the weeks following Thanksgiving break, a pilot schedule will come into effect that models closely after that of Washington-Lee High School. The purpose of this is to try out a new Patriot’s Period.

“Four days out of the week, there will be a Patriot’s Period of 25 minutes after third period to allow students to get a start on homework or meet with teachers,” said Assistant Principal Suzanne Evans, who was on the committee that devised the schedule.

Students will be allowed to go to the library, atrium, cafeteria or a designated teacher’s classroom for these 25 minutes. The point of this is to provide students with the time to be successful.

“We [the committee] decided that it would benefit students because we are aware that

many of them receive a lot of homework,” said Evans.

The Patriot’s Period will be perfect for kids who are stressed out by their workload. As far as the schedule change goes, many students fear a drastic shift in their school day.

“Lunch will not be affected and the length of the block periods will stay the same,” assured Evans.

However, there will now be four days of the week that are block, alternating odd and even, and these are the days with Patriot’s Period. There will be one anchor day each week, which is just a regular eight period day with no Patriot’s Period.

This schedule is not set in stone, and as of right now it is just a test. After Christmas break, when it is over, students and teachers will receive surveys to get their opinions. The feedback of the faculty and student body will determine whether this schedule will come into play next year.

There will be a handout going out to all of the students at some point to provide more detailed information on the schedule.