Yorktown Adds Security Measures in Response to Recent Spike in Overdoses

This year, security has noticeably increased in our halls as part of a county-wide effort. Additional cameras and two extra security guards patrol our school. The decision’s intended purpose is to increase the monitoring of students to ensure they are safe and comfortable.

These measures were taken after increased reports of substance abuse.

“[Student overdoses] are not necessarily specific to Arlington, but we have seen a significant uprise in Arlington. It is a nationwide crisis, so I think we did take on the responsibility of just utilizing some more funds towards security,” Dean of Students Juanice Jenkins said.

While our school has not experienced these dangers directly, we have witnessed the devastating effects of them. The increased security is to prevent these problems from happening.

“We’ve been really adamant about the bathrooms because that’s where the overdoses have happened at other [APS] schools. We’re just trying to be more proactive than reactive,” Jenkins said.

Our school has tackled this problem prevention by adding two more Student Security Coordinators (SSCs). Their role is to monitor halls and ensure that students are where they are supposed to be.

“It was difficult for us to move from point A to point B. So now that we have six [SSCs], we can move easily around to help with security measures to help you guys out,” SSC Yannick Tanda said.

Keeping students in the building is the first step. SSCs can be seen scanning the perimeters of the building during big transitioning periods, monitoring who leaves and comes in. The safest place to be is in the classroom, they tell us. APS is using this security to keep it that way.

“That entails everything from monitoring fire drills, fire extinguishers, to alarms, keys, and doors, as well as the property and the bodies,” SSC Devaughn Drayton said.

As more SSCs walk the halls of our school, students have taken note of their presence. The added eyes are physically apparent, but the energy in the halls has also increased.

“I just feel like recently there have been a ton more security guards just walking around, but they also seem to be a lot more involved. It hasn’t really affected me too much but I do feel a bit safer at school,” sophomore Anna Lobe said.