The Yorktown vs. Washington-Liberty Battle of Arlington

This past Friday, fans from our school and Washington-Liberty (W-L) High School packed the stands at MedStar Capitals Iceplex to view the sports spectacle of the year: the Yorktown vs. W-L hockey game. It was a hard fought battle between the two long-standing rivals which ended in a 7-4 Yorktown victory.

After senior night ceremonies, the game started off with a bang as freshman Roger Allenbaugh scored an early goal giving Yorktown the lead.

Following this early success, W-L would score three unanswered goals. Feeling the sting, our school would go on to score two goals in one minute to even the contest at 3-3. 

Both teams found themselves in a dead heat going into the final minutes of the third period after trading goals. Junior Andy Coleman broke the stalemate with a go-ahead goal on the rebound of a breakaway shot. The student section had never been louder. 

Following the game-changing goal, the Yorktown Ice Hockey Club scored two more times on an empty net to cement the win with a final score of 7-4. 

After a heated contest and a 3rd period never to be forgotten, our school’s players poured onto the ice, tossing their gloves high into the air in celebration. The blood, sweat and tears they had shed for four long years culminated in a victory to be remembered for the ages.