In Case Cupid’s Arrow Missed You

Valentine%27s+Day+is+a+good+time+to+treat+yourself+to+movies+and+chocolate+
Valentine's Day is a good time to treat yourself to movies and chocolate

Alison Jones

Alison Jones

Andrea Henriquez, Sentry Staff Reporter

It’s that time of year again. The aisles at CVS are already decorated with hearts. The shelves are stocked with chocolate boxes and corny cards filled with the infamous lines of “roses are red, violets are blue.” Men and women can be seen trying to stuff massive teddy-bears in the trunks of their cars to give to their partners.

It is the best of times, it is the worst of times because it is the month of February and the month that contains the holiday of love. Valentine’s Day, or Saint Vincent’s Day, is an annual holiday that is celebrated on the 14th of February. It seems like it is a holiday just for couples but there are still many enjoyable activities you can do if you are single. Here is a comprehensive list in case Cupid’s arrow missed you this year.

Go To The Movies

Like any holiday, the weeks leading up to Valentine’s Day are typically accompanied by the release of new movies. Whether one is in a relationship or not, going to the movies is a fun activity to do on free nights. This February, there is a wide range of movies coming out with all different types of genres from romances to horror movies.

The Space Between Us [PG – 13]

The movie is futuristic and takes place when the first space shuttle embarks and colonizes on Mars. One of the astronauts is pregnant and, shortly after landing, gives birth to the first human born on Mars, Gardner Elliot. She ends up dying from birth complications and the boy grows up without knowing either of his parents. Once he turns 16, he becomes eager to know a girl he communicated with online as well as find his father who are both on Earth. The movie follows his struggle to try to travel to Earth and his struggle to discover himself. It is an interesting Sci-Fi movie that has elements of adventure, drama and romance. The movie came out on the third of February.

Rings [PG – 13]

Another movie released on February 3 was a remake of the popular horror film, Rings. The plot evolves around characters faits after watching a mysterious video tape. The video shows skin-crawling shots of a young girl’s eerie past. Once the video ends, the watcher receives a call that they will die in exactly seven days. Unlike the original movie where a woman struggles to protect her son, the lead character has the responsibility of trying to protect her boyfriend. The film contains some elements of drama and is a good pick for single individuals who would rather get their mind off of all the romance and just spend their night hiding behind the comfort of their own hands.

A United Kingdom [PG – 13]

Instead of watching a fictional love story this Valentine’s Day, one can watch a movie actually based on a true story, The love story follows the lives of Prince Sereste Khama of Botswana and his wife Ruth Williams from London. Their marriage caused much international controversy when the the pair from both very different cultural backgrounds married in the late 1940s. The movie came out on February 10.

Throw A Party

An additional way to celebrate the holiday is by throwing a party. Everyone can remember the joy that came from Valentine’s Day parties in elementary school. The classrooms were always filled with bright colors and the tables had a variety of snacks that parents brought in. It is still fun to throw a party even if it does not involve the children’s tradition of passing out valentines to every little brown lunch box on the desk. A party can be thrown just among close friends where everyone can participate in games or do karaoke. It also does not hurt to host a karaoke night where all the songs are anti-love such as the classic, “I Will Survive” by Gloria Gaynor.

Let People Know You Love Them

Valentine’s Day does not just have to be a day for romantic partners. It can be a day to let your friends and family know you love them. Anyone appreciates an unexpected gift or card. Additionally, you can do a secret cupid exchange with friends. It works exactly how it sounds; you gather a group of friends and secretly get paired with someone and give them a gift that they will appreciate.

Treat Yourself

Lastly, and probably most importantly, it is important to love yourself this Valentine’s Day. One way you can treat yourself is by going out and getting yourself a gift. You never have to rely on anyone else to get you something you really want. Another way you can (eventually) treat yourself, can be through babysitting. Many couples and parents would love a night to themselves and it is the perfect night to earn a few extra bucks.

In the end, Valentine’s Day is just another holiday. Spend it how you want to. Celebrate the holiday of love with the special people in your life or by appreciating yourself.