Maintaining Order In Our Schools: How To Walk In The Halls

Every day, 2,000 students travel our school’s halls during the eight passing periods. Students walk from class to class during the six minutes allotted–but when traversing the halls, students often fall short. Of the ways students navigate the halls, what should they not do?

Whilst on the journey to class, you may find a stray obstacle in your path. Instead of veering into oncoming traffic, consider waiting for oncoming traffic to slow and then slowly turning to navigate around them. As opposed to just running into traffic, this solution is both more efficient and safer.

On the topic of staying in a straight line, walk on the right side of the hallway. This isn’t the United Kingdom–stay on the right. Hallways, like roads, should have a system of order, and staying on the right is the first way we can get on the path of correctness. You wouldn’t spontaneously veer onto the left side of the road, would you? No—so don’t do that in the hallways. Stay on the right and stay moving.

Stopping in the middle of the hall is the worst thing any student can do, because when that happens, traffic slows to a crawl. If you need to stop, move out of the flow of traffic, go to the bathroom, or go to your class. Do anything else except stopping in the middle of the hall.

While walking in the hall, look up from your phone. I don’t care if the newest Taylor Swift album just dropped or your Meemaw was struck by lightning, just keep walking. Look up and pay attention; it can wait the 30 seconds it takes to get to class.

Finally, when turning in the halls, take the right angle. Yes—I know the hypotenuse of the right triangle is shorter because a² + b² = c², but if you take the square root of I don’t care and then find the derivative of walking, you will be left with the answer of 2, and in the grand scheme of things, 2 seconds is not worth cutting me off.