Quinn Castelli and Carrie Finn

Quinn Castelli and Carrie Finn

By Quinn Castelli

Staff Reporter

From the pool to our school, senior Carrie Finn is a beast. Entering her second year on staff, Carrie reminisced on what made her want to join The Sentry. 

“The former opinion editor, Yasmina, was in the class and I was friends with her my sophomore year. She encouraged me to join. I also had siblings who were on The Sentry that wanted me to join,” Finn said.

Sentry isn’t the only class that Finn enjoys. She is also a politically aware student that loves history and government classes.

“My favorite class was probably AP US History because I had Mr. Price… and I had some really good friends in the class. I really love Mr. Price, and I liked how it was structured and how we worked in a group a lot,” Finn said.

This love for AP US History has carried over into AP Government with Social Studies Teacher Diane Holland. Finn is more than willing to share her dislike of the electoral college to anyone who will lend an ear.

“Why don’t we have a direct vote for president? We’ve had two presidents get elected who haven’t won the popular vote and if we are a democracy we should have the candidate who wins the popular vote, who the most people want, be the president,” Finn said.

Carrie isn’t just an academic weapon. She is also a beast in the pool and a savant in the kitchen. 

“I swim for Yorktown and I swim in the summer. I’m not a really competitive swimmer, but I’ve been doing that since I was like six,” Finn said.

To fuel her sheer power in the water, Finn makes sure to eat well in the kitchen. 

“I like to cook. I like mac and cheese and mashed potatoes like comfort dishes… it’s a very calming activity,” Finn said.

This love for food stood out on Finn’s trip to Paris. 

“I like France. I’ve been to Paris; they have really good food,” Finn said.

Don’t let the facade of a golden student athlete who loves the finer things in life fool you. Unbeknownst to many, Finn does not like music.

“I don’t honestly listen to that much music,” Finn said.

Finn plans to use this heartlessness in her future career of finance. 

“I kinda wanna live that lifestyle of having a lot of money and living in New York and I think Finance is the quickest way to get there,” Finn said.

Although we wish Finn the best for her future in New York, The Sentry is lucky to have her on staff this year, and we look forward to all of her great work.

By Carrie Finn

Staff Reporter

He slows down and hides behind a tree. As he catches his breath, he can see zombies approaching from all directions. He doesn’t have much longer. The cold Maine air has frozen the blood smeared across his face, and his right eye is throbbing and bruised. He looks down. His trusty Nike Waffle 1s are covered with a mixture of dirt and blood. 

Senior Quinn Castelli is on the run from the zombies that have taken over his hometown of Arlington, Virginia and are following him up the east coast to his ultimate hiding spot: the summer camp he has attended since he was nine-years-old. 

“I don’t think zombies would get that far; they can’t walk that fast,” said Castelli. 

Following a summer at his zombie-free sleep away camp, Castelli is entering his final year of high school and first year on The Sentry’s staff. He has a lot on his plate but a lot to look forward to. 

“I’m looking forward to finishing my college applications and being able to coast through the rest of the year and have a good time,” Castelli said.

Castelli is also excited for his first year on The Sentry. His interest in journalism was one of the reasons he decided to apply, as well as his desire to become a part of The Sentry family. 

“I like to write, and I thought this would be an interesting and engaging way to write and spread information to my community. I also like how it is a tight-knit group of people and everyone works together and there isn’t someone telling you what to do; it is more peer-based,” Castelli said.

Castelli has a strong love of music and will be able to make valuable contributions to The Sentry’s playlist.

“I listen to every genre. Right now, I like Frank Ocean, The Cure and Kanye West,” Castelli said. 

For Castelli, there is one artist that tops all others. A man with the unique ability to make anything sound good and look fantastic doing it. A man who goes by Playboi Carti. 

“He’s the GOAT,” Castelli said. 

Playboi Carti inspires Castelli in many ways. Castelli would like to have many of his traits. 

“I would like to talk to him about how to be confident. I think I need to work on my self-confidence,” Castelli said. 

When he isn’t listening to music or working on his self-confidence, Castelli can be found on the ice and turf. 

“I play ice hockey and soccer. I like both sports because they teach a lot about teamwork and are a good way to exercise and be competitive,” Castelli said. 

Castelli’s speed and agility would definitely help if he runs into dinosaurs while hanging out at Greenbrier. 

“I would go back and see the dinosaurs. I don’t think they’re real; I think it is fake,” Castelli said.

His odd takes stretch beyond the dinosaurs.

“Chipotle is mid. It’s just burritos. You can go to Moe’s or District Taco, and you can make your own,” Castelli said. 

These unpopular opinions would make it hard for Castelli to make friends in jail, and it is likely he will end up there if he decides to act upon his deepest desire: robbing a bank.

“I would not have to work for the rest of my life. I wouldn’t want to kill anyone, I would just want to make some money,” Castelli said. 

It’s a good thing Castelli doesn’t want to kill anyone. That wouldn’t be good for the newest addition to The Sentry. We look forward to having him on staff!