Eva Smith and Mason Wolverton

Eva Smith and Mason Wolverton

By Eva Smith

Sports Editor

The Sentry is excited to welcome sophomore Mason Wolverton to its reporting staff this year. After a summer of adventures, Wolverton is ready to take on the 2022-2023 school year, both in the classroom and out on the track. 

Wolverton is prepared for his first year on The Sentry, which is already one of his favorite classes, and hopes to hone his writing skills. Writing has always been a passion of his, and he’s excited to take it to the next level. 

“[I’m looking forward to] just being able to write, come up with ideas and learn about different stuff,” Wolverton said. 

Outside of the classroom, Wolverton is never too far from our school. He spends much of his time at our school’s track running for the cross country and track teams. Wolverton is very dedicated to running and looks up to track stars.

“I listen to track podcasts. There’s this one called “Coffee Club” with these professional runners; that is super fun,” Wolverton said. 

Media is not the only thing that he follows when it comes to running. Wolverton also dreams of visiting popular running destinations. 

“One day I want to go to St. Moritz, Switzerland, which is a high altitude ski resort where all the professional runners go to train when they’re racing in Europe,” Wolverton said. 

With his dedication, Wolverton may be seen running up in the Alps very soon. While he’s never been to Switzerland, he did visit another Francophone nation this past summer: France. He stayed in Paris, where he took day trips to Versailles and Giverny. Wolverton continued his European travels in London and Oxford, as well. 

Back at home, Wolverton doesn’t watch a lot of movies or television, but he did express his take on some popular shows. 

“I really like Better Call Saul. I honestly like Better Call Saul more than Breaking Bad,” Wolverton said. 

He listens to a variety of music when basketball or track podcasts aren’t playing through his headphones. Wolverton enjoys indie, rock and rap music. He especially appreciates rap when he’s preparing for a race. 

When Wolverton’s not focusing on track, he follows other sports and supports an assortment of teams. 

“I like the [Washington] Wizards, and I’m a really big Georgetown [basketball] fan. My parents are from Cincinnati, so I like the [Cincinnati] Reds and the [Cincinnati] Bengals,” Wolverton said. 

Wolverton has got a lot in store for this year. Whether it’s writing articles for The Sentry or competing in a track meet, he is prepared to do it all. Wolverton is looking forward to doing well in school, and The Sentry is excited to see Wolverton grow as a writer.

By Mason Wolverton

Staff Reporter

When she’s not in school, there’s a good chance you’ll find senior Eva Smith riding horses. She got hooked after accompanying a friend on a lesson in elementary school and has been riding and participating in competitions ever since. The challenge of the sport, a motivation to succeed and the relationships she builds are a few things that have set the activity apart for her.

“I’ve just met so many people through it, and just lifelong friends that I have,” Smith said.

Additionally, Smith is a devoted Philadelphia sports fan, rooting for the Eagles, Sixers, Flyers and Phillies through the best and worst of times. That passion carries over to the keyboard; she has always loved writing about athletics and is now Sports Editor for The Sentry.

“I always would talk about sports with my dad, and I didn’t have that many friends who’d like to talk about them or follow them, so I think once I started writing for sports, I found I could write about my passion,” Smith said.

Smith also really enjoys taking social studies classes. Other than newspaper, AP Comparative Government has been her favorite class of senior year, and she gives Intro to Law and World Affairs with Ms. Hamrick the title of her favorite class ever.

Smith used to play field hockey for our school. Although horse riding eventually left no time for the sport, she chose not to remove herself from the team environment and stayed on as a manager.

Smith is a big-time consumer of movies and television. Her favorite film is The Social Network, which follows the story of Mark Zuckerberg’s founding of Facebook.

“It’s a little bit dramatized, but I enjoy it, and the director’s David Fincher, and I love him,” Smith said.

When watching TV, Smith enjoys the chaos of Succession.

“All the characters are very bad people, but I’m just connected with them, and I need to see where they go and if they succeed or not,” Smith said.

Additionally, Smith loves to listen to music. She doesn’t restrict her listening to any single artist, but The Cure, The Talking Heads, Frank Ocean and Tyler, the Creator are some of her favorites.

“If I hear a song I like, I’ll put it on a playlist,” Smith said.

Smith and her family are also frequent travelers. They visited Paris and Barcelona over the summer, though Smith’s favorite cities are San Francisco and Gothenburg. Despite this, she admits that the idea of living in the Bay Area has its downsides.

“I know it’s crazy expensive. Also, the parking. With all of the hills, I don’t think I could parallel park very well,” Smith said.

In terms of future plans, Smith currently has her sights set on majoring in international relations in college.

“I wasn’t really interested in STEM, but I think I like the social sciences,” Smith said.

Smith is excited for her third year on The Sentry and looks forward to editing everyone’s sports articles.