PSA: Please Stop Asking Seniors About College. We’re Begging You.

It is a perpetual, lingering thought that seniors must battle every waking moment. Walking in the hallway, sitting at lunch, at soccer practice — it always lurks in the background, ready to pounce on your good time. Sometimes it even creeps into dreams. There truly is no escape from this elephant in the room. 

Seniors are always thinking about college. It sucks. 

BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN WE WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!

Parents, teachers, coaches, literally any adult: your curiosity is understandable. College is an enormous step in life, and it is fair to wonder what someone is pursuing in their future. Perhaps you have some genuine motive in asking about a student’s college applications. But guess what? It is really, really stressful for us. After loads of time spent worrying about grades, studying for standardized tests, navigating Naviance and stacking extracurriculars, we do not need more stress! 

Remember, you are not the only person who is curious. Answering the same questions over and over again is exhausting. “Are you going to ED anywhere? Are you looking in-state or do you want to go somewhere far? What about a gap year?” Shut. Up.

We are burdened with our own questions on the inside. Is my application strong enough? Should I have taken another AP, or joined another club, or stuck with that sport? Will I be accepted into my dream school? If I do, will I even like my dream school? Wait, will I be accepted anywhere? Am I going to disappoint my family — am I going to disappoint myself? 

You can argue all you want about the importance of college in life. It might not determine our future; it might not define us. It might not matter at all in the grand scheme of things. But in the end, we are all stressed out about it. So, do not bring it up with us! 

Please. We are begging you.