YHS Power Club To Hold Panel: Women In Leadership

Event: Power Club Panel–Women In Leadership

November 1, 2018 at 3:15 pm in Patriot Hall

All genders and ages welcome!

On Thursday Nov 1, YHS’s Power Club will host ‘Women In Leadership’, a public professional panel on women at the top of traditionally male dominated fields. The speakers include Dr. Heidi Hammel, a renowned planetary scientist, Suzanne Rexing, the CGEO of Pathfinder International, and Joan Rohlfing, the president of the Nuclear Threat Initiative.

Power Club is our school’s forum for the discussion of women’s issues which offers an all-inclusive place for all students to come and share their thoughts on women in society. As Yorktown is a place which both prepares students for higher education and teaches them how to be an informed and active member of society, Power Club wanted to open up a conversation of professionals which would give students of all genders a chance to engage with outstanding examples of female leadership.

The panel will be moderated by the president of Power Club, senior Fiona Flaherty, and will take of the form of a series of questions, all framed around leadership through the lens of feminism, to which the speakers will have free-response. Directly after the panel-discussion there will be a cookie table and and Q&A session for attendees to pose questions directly to the speakers. The panel will last for approximately an hour and a half.

More on the speakers:

Dr. Heidi Hammel received her undergraduate degree from MIT and her Ph.D. from the University of Hawaii. She is currently the Executive Vice President of AURA, a consortium that operates astronomical observatories for NSF and NASA, including the Hubble Space Telescope. Dr. Hammel’s science has focused on the outer planets Uranus and Neptune.

Suzanne Rexing is the current Chief Global Engagement officer of Pathfinder International, an organization that advocates for women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights around the globe. Rexing is responsible for raising awareness and funding for the Pathfinder mission. She is a strategic leader in international business development with deep knowledge of the nonprofit sector. Rexing has 30 years of professional experience in leadership positions at Johns Hopkins University, PATH, Pact, Inc., and Catholic Relief Services. She holds a BA from Smith College in Biochemistry and Studio Art and an MPH in Epidemiology from Yale University.

Joan Rohlfing is the President and Chief Operating Officer of the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI). Rohlfing has held senior positions with the U.S. Department of Energy and worked in New Delhi as an advisor to the U.S. Ambassador.  She was a professional staff member of the House Armed Services Committee where she oversaw nuclear programs of the Department of Defense and the Department of Energy’s national security programs. Rohlfing is also a member of the U.S. Department of Defense Threat Reduction Advisory Committee and Chairs the Directorate Advisory Committee of the National Security Directorate at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.