Athlete of the Month: Emily Brooks

Senior+Emily+Brooks%27+rigorous+work+schedule+and+academic+accomplishments+have+paid+off+as+she+has+committed+to+Pomona+College.+
Senior Emily Brooks' rigorous work schedule and academic accomplishments have paid off as she has committed to Pomona College.

Lindsey Bowers

Lindsey Bowers

Matthew Cornfield, Sentry Staff Reporter

Senior star swimmer Emily Brooks’ rigorous work schedule and academic accomplishments have paid off as she has committed to Pomona College. Her leadership out of the water and speed in it are major factors as to why the girl’s swim team has enjoyed such a successful season. Not only does Brooks swim for the school, she also swims for York swim club. Pomona is lucky to be getting one of our schools finest athletes.

Q: What is your practice schedule?

A: I have morning practice four times a week; Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. I also have dryland after school twice a week for an hour each, and also have dryland in the morning right after practice but before school on Wednesdays. I will also practice once a week at Yorktown swim practice.

Q: Why did you commit to Pomona?
A: I committed to Pomona because it seemed to have the perfect balance of school and swimming. Not only is it an amazing school, it also has a really nice atmosphere.  When I visited, the entire team was so welcoming, and I just felt like I would fit right in. All the swimmers were very happy with the swim program and the coaching staff, and it felt like it was just the right team and place for me. Plus, it’s in Southern California and we get to swim outside year round!

Q: What is your favorite stroke and race?
A: My favorite stroke is backstroke because when I was younger I was terrified of putting my head under the water, so I just got really good at backstroke. My favorite race is the 100 freestyle or the 100 backstroke because it is still a sprint and you can get hype for it, but you have more control over it than a 50 free or back.

Q: How is your season going?
A: So far, my season has gone pretty well. I have been able to drop some time and improve so far, but have hit a bump this week when I got sick. I am hoping to recover soon and get back into the water.

Q: How long have you been swimming?
A: I have been swimming since I was five years old, but I didn’t start swimming year-round until sixth grade.

Q: What are you going to miss most about Yorktown swim?

A: I will miss the people on the team the most. They are the ones who bring the spirit to the team and make it fun, even if we are swimming late on a Friday night. Without them, I would not still be swimming today.

Q: If you could play another sport what would it be?
A: If I could play another sport, I would probably want to do gymnastics because it just looks like a lot of fun even if it is a lot of hard work, but I don’t think I could because I have been told I am way too tall and clumsy.

Q: What is your least favorite thing about swimming?
A: Swimming is a really hard sport because even though you are on a team with people supporting you, you are all on your own during a race. You don’t get a timeout or any help from the coach, it’s all on you and you don’t get a second chance.