Yorktown’s Newly Inducted Hall Of Fame Members

Yorktowns Newly Inducted Hall Of Fame Members

Every four years since its advent in 2004, certain distinguished alumni from our school are nominated for inclusion in the Yorktown Hall of Fame and Inspiration, a donation-backed institution created to honor high achieving Yorktown graduates. On Friday, May 20, nine new nominees will join those ranks during the 2022 induction ceremony. 

This year, the committee selected from a pool of finalists voted on by Yorktown alumni, current students and the local community. 

“The fame can be local and national, but the accomplishments should have meaning to the students who walk by the plaques every day,” committee chair Sara Jane Knight said in a press release.

Among the ranks of the previous inductees stand astronauts, CEOs and Olympians, and the 2022 inductee group is no less prominent. 

Mike Leinbach, Class of 1971: As an engineer and administrator with NASA for decades, Leinbach led 37 shuttle missions as Shuttle Launch Director. Now an acclaimed author and recipient of numerous prestigious awards, Leinbach continues to inspire aspiring engineers and astronauts.

Alyson Shontell, Class of 2004: Just four years after graduating Yorktown in 2004, Shontell helped found the prominent publication Business Insider. Shontell was first on staff as a planner and writer and later as editor-in-chief in 2016. In 2021, she joined Fortune magazine as its first female, and youngest ever, editor-in-chief.

M.J. Stewart, Class of 2014: After a record-setting college career with the University of North Carolina, Stewart was drafted into the National Football League (NFL) by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A multi-position player, he recently joined the Houston Texans after recording 52 tackles and 17 assisted tackles with the Cleveland Browns. 

Tom Faust, Class of 1972: With a long career in criminal justice, Faust has made his mark on judicial systems across the country. Having previously served as Executive Director of the National Sheriffs’ Association for seven years among several other administrative positions, Faust was recently appointed acting Director of the Department of Corrections in DC. 

Hubert N. Hoffman III, Class of 1962: An Army veteran and CEO of a local development firm, Hoffman has contributed to the establishment of over 50 buildings in Northern Virginia. He is also a prominent donor and civil servant to community organizations, presiding over the Alexandria Contractors’ Association and serving on multiple other boards. 

Torri Huske, Class of 2021: Nominated for induction just one year after her graduation, Huske has already led an illustrious swimming career, ammassing 15 state championships along with an American record, Olympic medal and multiple national and international titles. Now swimming for Stanford University, Huske has a bright future ahead of her. 

Tom Liljenquist, Class of 1970: Though he is the founder and president of five local jewelry stores, Liljenquist’s true passion lies in his collection of original Civil War photographs, which is now the largest in the world. He has donated items of his collection to the Library of Congress beginning in 2010, where they are available for public viewing.

Bob Witeck, Class of 1970: A prolific public speaker and author, Witeck founded a prominent communications company. His organization was the first to be recognized by the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce. Clients of the company include Stanford University, American Airlines, Comcast and Walmart. Not satisfied only with entrepreneurship, Witeck also served as a press secretary and legislative aide to the Senate Commerce Committee. 

SOJA, Late 90’s: Founded at Yorktown in 1997 by four of its eight current members, SOJA is an acclaimed reggae band playing hundreds of concerts yearly. Winning the 2022 Grammy for best reggae album on their third nominated effort, SOJA is an established presence in the reggae scene.

These accomplished graduates make the Yorktown community proud. Congratulations to all of the 2022 inductees!